KT88s...the final chapter

Ok, Ive posted before, ive read the prior threads, ive read the David99 vs Marchman debacle, I done my homework on NOS, Valve Art, Svetlanas, out there. Id love to use Gold Lions and other NOS out there, but most are sold on ebay 1 pair or quad at a time for around $100 a piece. I need 16 tubes. Svetlanas run about $40 a piece. Sovteks are about $24 each. My question, are the Sovteks such a step down in quality to my stcok Svetlana 6550's? I am talking about the price to value ratio here. If my amps used a quad or even an octet, id have no problem with forking out the $$ for Gold Lions. Has anyone given the Sovtek kt88s a shot and if so, were they put back in the box bad? Anyone have suggestions on a lo cost source for kt88 types?

thanks
128x128justlisten
Unfortunately you just missed an auction for matched quads of Svetlanas, but check your ending auctions feature, you'll get the name of the seller; he had others possibly available. One thing to watch out for, though, is that I recall that early batches of the Svetlanas were not so good, to the point I believe they stopped production for a while. Don't know what they sound like, I'm sorry to say, as I use Gold Lions. Gotta check those e-Bay auctions, $100/tube is CHEAP--maybe they're the Chinese made Gold Lions or have very heavy use, or else could be fake (unfortunately there are a few of those out there as well).
Try http://www.triodeelectronics.com. I've gotten a bunch from them (KT88, KT90, 6550c, etc.) Fast shipping, good service.
The Sovtek KT-88 is better than the Svet 6550C.I have had both and preffer the Sovtek.Everyone tells me the svet kt 88 are better than the Sovtek.I have not heard them so I cant comment.
Justlisten: Further to my post above, the guy I mentioned has his last two matched quads of Svetlanas up for dutch auction, at a higher initial price ($125) though. I've completed an auction with him, but haven't received my tubes yet so can't comment on the goods at this point. No problems with him following through, though. You might want to ask him about them.
RC,

I have spoken with him and he only has 3 quads left and I need 4. I dont want to purchase 3 quads, then have to search for another quad to complete the set.

Leafs, you are the 1st person who has spoken favorably about the Sovteks. It seems kinda in fashion to bash on them, ive only used their el34's and didnt mind them at all.