Recommendation for REALLY inexpensive receiver

Hi, I need something to get started with, but am on an extremely limited budget. If you had to find a surround sound processor, and keep the price under $500, what would you recommend? I noticed a Denon AVR-2802 sold used in Audiogon's classifieds for $260- including shipping, which seems like a heck of a deal. Any help would be appreciated.
jarujammer
I owned the Denon 2801 and was not impressed with the sound in either HT or music. I felt that the ONKYO 434, that I had upgraded from, was superior for both HT and music. I would look at ONKYO's offering in the $500 range, which I believe is the SR600 or SONY's SL-7 at $300, which offers a digital amplifier (check out Audio Asylum for some threads on the SONY). I like ONKYO's, in general, because they are built like battle ships and their WRAT amplifiers sound pretty good. The SONY intrigues me, because it is a digital amp. I have no experience with the OUTLAW ... so I can not comment one way or the other. Regards, Rich
I'll offer the counter-opinion (based on ownership of 2 units) that Onkyos are not built like battleships. Quite the contrary, to put it mildly.
Avoid the digital amps--its Class D and not as good as Class A or B. And the "D" doesn't have anything to do with digital: its just marketing hype. Class D is an analog design (the next after class C) that goes back to 1928--predating digital itself. Spectron and Tact are a little different--but still ultimately Class D too. Now if you're an environmentalist they are more efficient so it'll do the job with less power, but less fidelity.
I agree with either Outlaw or Onkyo. They both offer the best value for the money and sound. I have never had any problems with the Onkyo gear I have owned off an on for the last 25 years.

Remember, there is no gear that is break proof. Pick any brand and put in a post asking if anyone has had problems, and I am sure you will get a reply (or more).