Full range rear speakers

I am interested in others opinions who have tried HT setups with rear full range speakers verses "book shelf" speakers.

All direct radiating speakers. Was the extra money worth the over all effect, i.e.. more presence in the rear, or just roll the small speakers lows off to the subs and call it even?

Thanks
Marty
marty9876
Makes sense Mike, thanks for the input. In this case I would be considering "musical" small or large speaker. Off the top of my head I can't think of any speakers designed purely for HT(and don't want to know:)) Ya know, good stuff all around.

Marty
It is said that both NHT and Definitive Technology speakers were designed from the ground up for HT purposes although, of course, neither company would ever admit this and both are marketed as dual-use systems.

There's my rumor for the day...

will
I would DEFINITELY agree with Def Tech being for theater (although they aren't that great for that purpose either). They are terrible for music (my opinion, so be nice). The older NHT line (the speakers designed by Ken Kantor) are VERY good for both HT and music (VT-2,2.5i, 2.9, and 3.3 specifically). They can tend to be bright and in your face though if you don't run them with the proper electronics.

Regards...Mike - Father & Son Audio
A vote for NHT . . . . go with the older NHT focused image geometry line, and stick with models that have the original soft dome tweeter, as opposed to the newer metal tweeter. I use 2.3As in the front and 2.1s in the rear (almost identical -- the 2.3As are about 3 1/2" taller and have a little deeper bass) with dual 1.3A centers, and they sound great with both home theater and music. Plus, you can pick them up used here on Audiogon for a song.

You still need to avoid bright electronics, but the soft tweeter models are a lot less harsh than the metal tweeter models. I use Rotel amps, and they seem to work just fine.

And definitely go for the full-range rears . . . when I went to the 2.1 rears in place of the SuperZeroes I was using, there was a significant improvement in the quality of 5.1 channel playback.