Full range rear speakers

I am interested in others opinions who have tried HT setups with rear full range speakers verses "book shelf" speakers.

All direct radiating speakers. Was the extra money worth the over all effect, i.e.. more presence in the rear, or just roll the small speakers lows off to the subs and call it even?

Thanks
Marty
marty9876

Showing 6 responses by marty9876

Thanks for the input. I guess it's like insurance, you don't often need it, but when you do it's great.

Sean, yea our "full range" idea is different. My is basically to about 45hz which seems to be the basic industry slandered. I would guess, guess, that most sub $5000 retail pair speakers really don't do much below 35hz.

My specifics are trying to decided between the new Meadowlark Osprey's (fuller range) and the smaller 2-way Swifts(6" woofer?) and such. Really I a debating cheaper speakers and a cable upgrade, or dump the money into speakers. Cables can wait.

Rear speaker placement, I really don't hope for much. I have been trying to nail down the front 3 and let the rears fall where they may. A sonically poor, i.e. too close to the wall, placement is the best I am hoping for.

Thanks
Marty
Mike,

A dealer saying something would be an overkill, this must be a first. But then again, I would say most of us have warped perception of what an over kill is. At least I do.

The one thing I do not like about the Swifts is the tweeter height. They are truly a great speaker, I have a pair in my room as demos. I was very impressed with the sound.

With the Swifts, and the Kestrels and Shearwaters too basically, the tweeter height is just 4-6 inches too low for me. I could prop them up on blocks or something, I don't know I still might. The are cheaper.

The biggest down side, they(all three) looks like toys to me. I mean, matchsticks.... It is all relative, with a 7ch Sim Titan amp sitting on a lone amp stand in the room, most things look small. I am way too American, bigger is better mentality.

Thanks
Marty
So in the end what would sound better? "Fuller" range Ospreys, or the Swallows with a sub? I have an unused sub, HSU VFT-2, just sitting around. I have always thought running the speaker high level lines into the sub and using its crossover, or low level signal single ended into the sub, but I always thought that was the "cheaper" and lower quality way of doing things.

I am so confused, by this whole bass issue. I'll just take Sean's approach and have two/four/six of everything..:) I do have stereo subs, and I am wondering why. With all "large" speakers on the cross over settings it kinda takes the fun out of the right left deal. But the localization and response issues are still very valid reasons for stereo subs.

Sim stuff, I have all three. It sucks.... Love hate deal. It is very quirky and can be hard to use at times. The 7ch amp is so much bigger than the 5ch and currently I am only using 5 channels. I guess I should buy the rear center, not like much information comes from it thou. I have been planning on getting the Petrel(what ever small center is called).

Thanks for the input. I just would like to do things right.

Marty
In multi-poop don't the rears basically do the same thing? Recreate the ambiance of the venue? I have not gotten into mulitchannel music, which might cause me to be biased.

Why do people say that multichannel music line? To me a speaker should reproduce what ever is asked of it, in a similar fashion. I know this is a generalization, and therefore why are some speakers more "musical" than others, which some clearly are. I know an explosion is not "musical" but it is still comprised of basic wave formations. I know science can not spit ot a formula for what is "musical" and so hands on experience is all one can do.

Di/Bi poles, I just don't want to mess with these. It is just a decision I have made, wise or unwise, who knows.

Thanks
Marty
"faster transients, dynamics, and transparency" I guess the question is this wasted in the HT application?

Thanks
Marty
Makes sense Mike, thanks for the input. In this case I would be considering "musical" small or large speaker. Off the top of my head I can't think of any speakers designed purely for HT(and don't want to know:)) Ya know, good stuff all around.

Marty