Which came first, the chicken or the egg

Where do you start? Building HT system (Budget $50K New discounted or used). Just finished ASC's WALL DAMP SYSTEM. Now need quality built and sounding electronics. Something recognized by audiophiles (just in case I turn into a junkie and want to dump it in a few months without getting killed, or laughted at). Value priced and not obsolete before its broken in. Tube or transistor but would like 7.1 capabilities. 75% home theater, 25% good stereo listening.
JUMP IN ! Put a system together and be ready to defend your picks to your death, or yield to someone more experienced and knowledgable.(I've read some of the posts, it can get nasty). You have been challenged.... who's first?
blob7
Blob7, the last three issues of The Perfect Vision might be a good place to look for some reviews, lists and opinions. But, like any review, it is just another opinion and could be tainted with loyalty to an advertiser. The Perfect Vision has a web site where you can download entire issues for $6.00(I think?), and the last 3 issues include reviews of the Martin Logan HT set-up(including a 2-channel perspective), and a "best of" list. But trust youself as you collect more info.
There has to be a simple reason that these setups do not sound as good on two channel stereo. I mean that a good one uses a tape loop (or bypass) and the quality electronics and speakers are in place. Perhaps just covering the screen and the center channel with a wool blanket (maybe even the rear speakers) would make the difference as the only difference that I do see (between a two channel setup) is a reflective surface (the screen) between the main speakers (this is not a good thing) and three other speakers in the room that will suck up the sound when not in use. Does anyone already do this? Or just try it at a shop and see if it improves the sound in stereo. Also I have heard that getting the cable or dish ground right can be a problem as well. I just messed around with our cable ground (which is not even connected to the stereo) and it does effect the sound of the system.
Dekay has some points there. Most of the HT systems I've seen have some big hard components in the center between the two main speakers, this is generally known not to be very good for the sound. But, I think, another major concern (besides the system ground concerns from cable, etc.) is the serious amount of extra wires, interconnects and components and their circuits. A direction that 2-channel seems to be going down, is to simplify systems. Home Theater, usually,
has many components, many interconnects...and yards of speaker wire. Perhaps it is as simple as Home Theater being able to be done well, (audio wise)..it's just harder to have success.
The room!

To have the best of both worlds you are going to have to make compromises with your room acoustics for both HT & 2-channel audio. In theory you can not have both. On HT the room must be dead and in 2-channel audio the room is live. But since you are looking to "75% home theater, 25% good stereo listening"....You should able to cross the gap very nicely. Before jumping the gun on any hardware purchase, you need to answer the following questions:

What is your room dimensions?
What is your RT60 value?
And at last, someone asked the question already, Is the video is part of the $50k budget?

The room has the most influence on any piece of hardware you can buy. You can buy the most expensive hardware known to man and it wont make a bit of difference if you have sh*tty acoustics in your. ItÂ’s just like throwing your money down the toilet! You have a lot of research to do, enjoy.
It just burns you up doesn't it Leafs, that someone could want something different from what you want.