Help learn diff.between SS and Tube

I am auditioning an Anthem Amp 2 (a Hybrid amp) and it will be a change from my SS Marantz MA 500s in a bi-amp config. I have not had the Anthem more than a few hours (the amp is broke in) and I think right off the bat the Anthem seems to have less bass than my SS. The bass seems to be there, my room shakes, but its not as something, I can't put my finger on it, less "punchy?" Can someone pleez tell me the differences typical of tube and ss amps. Thanks. m-
mdomnick
hi all,

i wonder what synergy there is between tube preamp/solid-state amp, & ss preamp/tube amp? i know many folks get good results w/tubed pre's & ss amps - myself included. i've also heard a couple folks have good results doing it the other way around. i looked into the mesa baron, cuz there was a good deal on one on the 'net recently, but mesa's www specifically recommends *against* using their baron amp w/a tubed preamp. interesting...

doug

Hi Doug. Mesa actually recommends using either a passive or medium gain tube linestage (see "comments" in associated equipment section). Also confirmed this in conversations with designer and tech people there. Not sure about where on their site that there is other contradictory info, though. The concern with high gain preamps is based on the Baron's own high gain characteristics. This was a real concern for me since I'm using an Audible Illusions Mod3 (NOS Seimens 6DJ8's) which has exceptionally high gain. Fortunately, I have absolutely none of the noise or tube ringing that are of concern here. Maybe it would be different with the Sovtek's -- the Seimens are pretty special tubes. I'm still looking for another preamp, however... the lack of volume adjustability (also balance with the Mod3) is a bit of a pain with the new amp. Thinking about a Joule LAT 100 MkIII. In the past I've matched tube pre's with ss power amps and was pleased with the results. You can do quite a bit with tube rolling using this combination and go a little bit crazy with NOS tubes without breaking the bank.
Cornfed- Thanks for the info on your system and audio experiences with ss. I certainly have a greater understanding and appreciation of your point of reference. Though our equipment preferences differ, we do share the same passion. That's what makes this hobby- or addiction?- so interesting.
Pardon my topic drift and let me ask the tube enthusiasts a question: I love the purity, clarity and focus of my Pass X-150. If I wanted to try a tube amp in my system (driving Spendor SP1/2) and did not want to stray far from these characteristics that I love, what would you recommend I give a listen to?
I have a pass amp and the vt100. You can tell it is slower and less clear than the pass labs. It does liven the music up more though. You will never find the sheer clarity and speed of the alephs. The vt100 is one of the more accurate tube amps out there. An even more accurate, neutral amp is supposed to be the SF Power series. I haven't heard them.