Krell or Pass

got $9000 for an amp should I get Pass X-350 or Krell FPB-300...my speakers are Martin Logan CLS-2z Any help would be appreciated
harvey
Justthis past weekend, I spent a couple hours comparing a Krell FPB300 with an ARC VK100 MkII. The Krell surprised me with its smoothness, and of course its low end was incredible. I never liked Krell, but this amp almost won me over. By the way, it was a demo offered at $5500! I have not heard the Pass, but I owned a Threshold 400A amp, an original Pass design from 20 (!) years ago until just recently. He makes nice stuff, that's for sure. Compared to the ARC tube amp, however, the Krell did not have the same degree of air and dimensionality. I am not a tube guy yet, but I'm close to being converted.
I have two systems and use Martin-Logans in each (but also have a pair of Thiels that see occasional service). Both the Logans and the Thiels are so revealing of midrange textures that solid state amps just sound either mechanical or plain irritating. I have tried the Krell but not the Pass. However, my vote is to look at a tube design. There is a lot of techno-babble about impedence issues, which I am sure is relevant, but if you try it and it works then the techno-babble doesn't matter. The tube amps I use are more lively on the Logans or Thiels than any solid state amp I have tried - figure that out. But importantly, the mids now sound like real voices and instruments. I used to avoid tubes because of the hassle factor, so do not believe I have a bias. But in my solid state days, I was always struck by the beauty of midrange sounds at live events that just did not seem to exist on my recordings. When I first put a good tube amp in place I realised what the problem had been. $9,000 is plenty. I agree with the earlier posts re VAC and VTL. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
"Harvey": I would blame your Logans before I blamed the Krell amplifier, unless you're not conditioning the AC power for the Krell. (Krell says not to use conditioners, but they're partly wrong, because the ones that don't current limit are fine FOR SURE!) "Bmpnyc2": Rel subs are ok, but they aren't the best. "ARAGONACE": Again, you just aren't filtering the AC enough for the FPB 300. If you were, it would soundly stomp the ARC 100!
Both are wonderful and ignore what we all say and take them both home and compare them. You must have a dealer in your area the would allow it. I have owned both Pass and Krell amps and it would be personal preference. Nice choices!
Both are wonderful and ignore what we all say and take them both home and compare them. You must have a dealer in your area the would allow it. I have owned both Pass and Krell amps and it would be personal preference. Nice choices!