Why spend megabucks on a tuner?

I've seen old Marantz and McIntosh tuners sold here on Audiogon for a fortune. My question is: Why?

Most radio stations now have highly compressed dynamics. Most of the few that don't (for my location, anyway) are located on the fringes of reception. And then what happens when you move to a different location, which may have even fewer good listening choices?

At least with a turntable or CD player, I feel that you have a lot more choices. And, it's not location-dependent. With streaming audio becoming a reality for most people, and now HD radio (which I'll admit I haven't heard yet), why is there still such a market for high-end tuners?

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
i spent micro-bucks on my tivoli #3 radio. i added the stereo speaker, and split the subwoofer output in two so i have two sub's as well. i have this four piece system arranged on either side of my bed. i get alot of stations, especially late at night, by moving the tuning knob VERY slowly across the dial. we have two university based stations, NPR, an indie-jazz station, and just got a 24/7 classical station with a VERY strong and clean signal (miami,fla.). i am partially disabled, so after dinner and cleaning up the kitchen i am VERY tired, and brush my teeth and lie down for a nap. when i wake up there are my half-dozen primo stations to choose from, with ALOT, trust me on this, to listen to- specialty radio shows from news, music, music commentary, record reviews, beethoven, prog-rock, heavy metal, the BBC... i could go on and on. one guy does big band from the late 30's thru' the early 60's, with alot of recorded radio shows from the 40's and 50's. if i get bored with his show i switch over to WVUM and listen to Ornette Coleman, Mingus, etc.
the classical station plays a million peices i never heard of before, so this is a literal gold mine.
as for expensive tuners, i would have to agree that all you want is good reception, not dynamics and detail which is apparantly not there. but don't let that stop you from expanding your musical vocabulary. my radio has paid for itself a hundred times over, unlike my gigantic system in the living room- i just laid out $3,000 to repair a mono-block amp. my last amps went back to the manufacturer
3 times. my transport has been repaired twice. the system is so sensitive to a drop or surge in power, let alone "musicality", that i hold my breath every time FP&L starts playing with their transformers- which is quite often.
meanwhile every OTHER electrical device in the house hums along just fine. but definitely get a "nice" radio and check out what's available in your area (unless you live in northern Montana, but then again they may have some good stations too).
Jeffb, the wisest post I have read in years. Some will call it a rant, I call it spot on.

How about your view of other aspects of sound reproduction and high-end equipment?
That's a 2 part Question:
Part 1: Why?
Why is the sky blue? Why do babies cry? Why can't I get my amps, pre amps, tuner, CD player or anything else to work properly?
Part 2:
Spend megabucks on a tuner? Of course, sure, why not, it couldn't hurt as long as you could afford it!
Don't forget to buy the $12K outdoor anteanna!!!
Best regards
Professor Irwin Cory
I second Pbb about Jeffb's post. If you're lucky to live in an area where there's one or possibly 2 good radio stations (not just in terms of sound quality, but more importantly in terms of programming quality! don't look at me, I'm in the wrong city, clearly), go for it. Otherwise, there are many better ways to spend money on a sound system.
I listen to a local classical station several times a week via a modded Jolida tuner with very satisfying results.

I hope to eventually upgrade to a Magnum Dynalab MD-102 triode when funds permit.