How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin

03-29-05: Detlof: "As time went on, I was forced to realise, that my mind got more and more entrapped by the gear and less by the message the music might have to convey. This was not merely bad, because through this, I became more aware of that musical message, which managed to get through the audiophile smog"...

Could "audiophile smog" be defined as:
manipulation of the sound in a certain way, which, in turn, draws attention to the component itself and not the music?

It's no wonder people get audiophile nervosa. It plays on the thought "I just spent $10,000 on a preamp I want to HEAR what I got for my money." Result = listening to the component, not the music.

Look at new cars compared to old cars. With old cars you adjust the heat by turning a knob. With new cars you practically have to be a computer programmer to figure it out. There is no need for this complexity. The result is that it draws attention to the controls and not the act of getting some heat. Some type of pride by the designer?
"With old cars you adjust the heat by turning a knob. With new cars you practically have to be a computer programmer to figure it out. There is no need for this complexity."

Amen brother.

The complexity is good for the car service industry though when something goes wrong and has to be fixed. But its marketed based on other terms and people buy into it, literally.
I think everyone here has a nugget of truth that we can all benefit from. I believe everyone who gets into this hobby has to be a music lover to some degree because let's face it, that's what stereo systems do-create music. But I don't have any problem with the guy who takes pride in the look and construction of his gear either. Different strokes for different folks. But to address the topic of this thread I think you can be on a merry go round in basically two different ways.
1. Time - We can and often spend way too much time in this hobby. Whether in listening, reading about, or going to shops, shows, ect. I have been guilty of this way too often. And I am not going to sit here and preach to anyone about how much is too much but everyone knows what is reasonable in their own life. Ways that I personally keep things in control in this area is to take an interest in other things in life. Maybe watch a movie, check out the History channel, or read a book a few nights a week.(trying to give practical suggestions)
2. Money- Oh how we can spend money in this hobby! Guilty again. But you know this is a free country and like most people here I worked hard to get what I have and music is what I like to enjoy when I get home. But back to the thread (and you guys have made some great points in having a goal set, ect. Some of the practical things I do (and please forgive me if any of these have been mentioned and I know most have, but as a reminder) to spend less money and still make a difference in your system are:
-DIY room treatments
-play around with magnets on your power cords (these have a very positive effect on RFI and EMI) but keep them off speaker wire and interconnects (has neg. effect on dynamics)
-add weight to various parts of your system
-if you have tubes then experiment
- I have made a DIY center weight for my Thorens 124 out of brass plumbing parts for about $5. Works great.
And the list goes on and on.
Actually, when I want to spend less money on my system I spend more time reading on Audiogon because of the huge number of people that know more than me and can help you with your system.
So if I may conclude I think you can be on a merry go round on any number of things in life but the key is to find that balance that makes you happy (and not feel like you have to get off any merry go round) as well as to make those around you feel important who are not into the hobby.