How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
I have not dropped off per say but circumstances have changed things for me. First let me say that I had it great. My work schedule allowed me an hours time most mornings for dedicated listening. I would go to the gym for my morning workout and then after showering, breakfast, and dressing for work, I would have 45 minutes to an hour for sitting in the chair and listening intently. Then my work schedule was moved up a half hour and all was lost. 95% of my listening is now of the back round type. I have also taken up another hobby. My system sounds great to me as ever but I no longer am scrutinizing so much that I feel the need to upgrade for "something better".
I am saddened by my lost dedicated listening time but for me the cure for upgradeitis was another hobby. I still love audio but it's no longer an obsession, just an enjoyment when I can listen.
Zar, that story sounds vaguely familiar, LOL. Life does go on once you get off the merry-go-round. I would actually say that I am happier now that I have others things to obsess on. ;D

Cheers,
John
I used to have five passions-audio, catamaran racing, sports cars, being a good professor, and my family. I now have but two-audio and my family although my kids now have kids. I find people with no passions boring. I have absolutely no desire to get off the audio merry-go-round. I do a lot of listening but as relaxation and often not dedicated. What I love is when the reproduction is so real that I have to put down my book and just listen.