Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Phd,
Are you really a Phd?, I ask because you wrote their instead of they're.
"So I think there are three types of audiophiles. Stage I is loving music and replacing hearing it live with cheap audio equipment. Stage II is loving music that is well reproduced. And Stage III is great reproduction and realism."

Tbg, that post of your's back on 2-9 really rung a bell with me as it in some ways mirrors my own evolution. However your 3 stages of audiophiles given above does not include ALL types of "audiophiles". I know PLENTY of audiophiles that have a rudimentary level of music knowledge and limited musical tastes and seem more focused on sound reproduction than music itself. Many of these guys spend an inordinate amount of time on a sound that is pleasing to them. Many of these guys also gravitate towards the quality of recordings OVER music content. Some of these guys know much less about music than many music loving friends and family members that are NOT audiophiles nor have any aspirations of becoming one. One of the first questions I generally get from them is "how much did this cost you?" These music lovers ARE aware of well reproduced audio equipment but have neither the time, space, finances or ultimately interest to pursue it. For them they can enjoy from a simple playback system as well. What got ME into it was the complete lack of satisfaction of symphonic music through my receiver, tt and modest speakers which had changed over a period of 20 years as a teenager to the time I discovered, as did you, well reproduced. When you see a live performance by a world class orchestra it is very humbling coming home and listening to music that gets very little close to what you just experienced.

The issue of the Stage III audiophile is interesting. I have found myself limited to Stage II for the simple fact that #1 I don't have the resources, space or committment to pursue it and most importantly #2 While it might be a worthy goal to try and capture the intangable elements that separate live music from reproduced, I have yet to hear a system to date that actually does that or quite honestly even approaches it. The bigger, the greater the resolution, the deeper the bass the MORE of everything just highlights, too often to me, the absolute importance of the recording so as to not be distracted by the shortcomings of the whole. Then there is the actual experience of a live performance over reproduced. What is most important to me is getting closer to the music itself, set-up, vibration isolation, power etc., maybe Mapman's point, without sweating on making it sound live, spoken like a true Stage II audiophile I suppose. I certainly admire your goals and would love to hear your system, particularly since you are passionate about symphonic music and are seriously attempting to recreate it in your home. You and those like you have my deepest respect and admiration.
Roxy54, thank you for pointing out my typo and after rereading my post I have come to the conclusion you only got it partially right. There are two other errors. I misspelled Oreagonpapa user name and used the word knowledgeable instead of knowledge, I feel ashamed but at least you know my responses came from a person and were not computer generated.
Tubegroover, I think my career as a professor living in college communities best explains our somewhat different perspectives. The auditorium at my university where I taught for 32 years is positively awful. The university chose to use absorbent material all around the audience seating area and to use speakers to rebroadcast the music from the stage after going through an echo chamber. Furthermore the sides of the stage have broad panels of fluted concrete running floor to ceiling. I have found the only good seats are second row center so all you hear is near field.

I used to go to Chicago's loop often and sought ticket to hear performances there. This is my total experience with quality orchestral works. I also taught briefly in London and heard great performance there.

My other passion is jazz, and for this I have personal experiences over the years, but I long for hearing the old guys at their best.

So I went to Stage III to hear what I've missed. I must say that my guest has been rewarded best the last five years. It is very fragile. When all is right the involvement in the music, the emotion of the performers, and the thrill of realism, frequently cause me to want to jump up and yell bravo!

I should also say that reviewing causes me to often lose these experiences until my reference system settles down.

I appreciate your kind words as well as shared experiences. Thankfully my hearing is still quite good.
live music is my ultimate reference. But of course there is a continuum of quality and scale even with live sound. Live music consists of players venues and listeners just like home audio. All good sound have two things in common low noise and distortion. Other than that anything is possible. One either enjoys or not. The most useful metric for how good something sounds to an audiophile is probably hours listened. If one spends a lot of time listening and even goes out of ones way to and comes away satisfied. That is all one can hope for. Then there is always to what extreme one chooses or feels compelled to go in order to be satisfied. No right or wrong there. The best never comes easy.