Advice: CD's to Hard Drive and Back Again

OK I'm new to computer audio (not to computers or audio).

Here's the issue: Ripping CD's to the hard drive as a backup for the CD's and then burning CD's.

What's the best method and equipment (not format, let's assume a lossless format i.e. FLAC). My thought is that the CD drives on most computers are not that great for reading and recording the information accurately onto the HD (and vise a versa). Is there an audiophile quality CD drive for computers or is there a good method to hook up an external drive for recording? Any suggestions for software (I have both Nero and Roxio)? Perhaps there's a thread I didn't find you could direct me to as well (preferably a recent one since technology marches onward rapidly)

Thanks in advice to the techno-wizards of Audiogon.
Ag insider logo xs@2xnab2
"hassle-free method to listen to music. No more hunting through the shelves of cds to find something to listen to"

Exactly, plus I don't have to worry about transport failure. I still have CD cases with inserts available but now in addition I can type notes to each CD in Itunes or create playlists.
Tried EAC seems to work well. So now I have to re-rip the CD's I've done using Roxio to rip WAV files? Ouch.

Thanks for the help and info folks.

ITunes is of the Devil. ;>
Nab2, did you try it after reading this thread? I downloaded it Sunday and gave it a whirl. The only issue I had was when saving the files to itunes it put them in a folder called "Unkown artist." Even though all of the cd information was imported from freedb, the only information that went to itunes was the song title.
How did you get the other info transferred?
Not the album info. I just created a folder with the album name and put the files there.

BTW I've compared the WAV files from EAC and Roxio and they are the same. I guess the real advantage of EAC is that it will tell you if there is an error.