my ethernet cable?

Hi all-

Another beginner question. So I am planning to set up a device (either an Auralic Aries or a Sonos with Empirical Audio's Synchro-Mesh and Dynamo power supply) to stream Tidal. When I was having a TV installed last year, I had the guy pull an ethernet cable to my stereo cabinet with this purpose in mind. I thought I was being smart to ask for him to get and install cat 6 instead of 5e, which was what he usually uses.

Later I read that cat6 can be a lot trickier to install correctly, and sometimes its safer just to go with 5e. (and I note the adapter plate on the wall actually says 5e.) And then I read this article from Blue Jeans cable about how most of the cat6 cable on the market is crap.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/is-your-cat6-a-dog.htm

So all of this has me wondering if I should buy some cat6 from blue jeans (or even 5e given installation quirks with cat6?) and have this redone? Or is there a way to test the quality of the cable I have and know whether or not it is up to the task?

It seems a bit excessive to replace the cable, but on the other hand, that will cost a fraction of what an Aries streamer does, or a year's subscription to Tidal, so I am wondering if I shouldn't make sure my fundamentals are all solid before proceeding.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Margot
mcanaday
01-17-15: Mcanaday
Will the router say 10/100 on it? And what is the designation for a router that is adequate for gigabit?
10/100/1000 is a common designation for a router capable of gigabit speeds (i.e., 1000 megabits per second). If there is no indication on the router as to whether it is a 10/100 or 10/100/1000 type, Googling its make and model number plus the word "specifications" should lead you to the answer.

100 mbps is plenty for audio purposes, though. And if the router is 10/100 you can always upgrade it at a later time if gigabit speeds become desirable for other reasons.

BTW, I would not rule out the possibility that there could be at least slight sonic differences between interfacing to the Auralic at 100 mbps and at 1000 mbps, due to differences in coupling of digital noise to points in the system that are downstream of the ethernet interface. But if so, I doubt that which speed would be better in that respect can be predicted.
As for the extra cable, so just having something there unconnected does not affect the functioning of the lines to stereo, tv etc?
I'd be very surprised if having an unused cable connected to its own port on the router or network switch would have any effect on the others. Even if it did, though, perhaps as a consequence of poor design of the router or network switch, you could of course simply disconnect it.

Best,
-- Al
Thanks again, everybody! A thread about like this one here on Audiogon walked me through getting dedicated circuits set up last summer. Can't imagine taking a step without you guys.

Margot
I noticed that there are now cay 7 shielded cable available. Would that be an upgrade?
I noticed that there are now cat 7 shielded cable available. Would that be an upgrade?
Good question, Ozzy. I suppose that cat7 could sometimes provide a sonic benefit as a consequence of the double shielding it usually incorporates, which may reduce coupling of RFI and digital noise from the cable into the system. But I would expect any such benefit to be highly system dependent, and probably also placement dependent, with little or no predictability.

Regards,
-- Al