Top resistors

Many threads with opinions on boutique coupling capacitors, but very little consolidated information on the sonics of resistors. Anyone care to share their thoughts on the attributes of their favorite brands & types for specific tube and SS applications? How much of a difference does a good resistor make?

My interest in the topic increased after recently installing the latest Texas Components nude Vishay TX2575 in several SS and tube phono & LS components. This was a proverbial "Ah-ha" moment-- a stray resistor dropped into signal path here or there, surprising with an improvement that equalled or surpassed the impact of a switch to a top coupling cap like V-Cap or Mundorf.
dgarretson
I do not see a Caddock MDN series of resistors listed anywhere so it would be hard to identify its wattage.

As far as using a resistor as a fuse, I've never heard of such thing and would consider it sub par engineering at best, probably not what one should expect form the folks at Wilson.

I would not worry too much about the fusing issue and just use the best resistor I could find, the Caddock MP9100 certainly being one of them.

Good Listening

Peter
Yes it is strange that there is no reference to the MDN 0178 series on Caddock's website whatsoever, but it is clearly printed on the resistor itself. As far as replacement is concerned, I saw a new model on Caddock's website - the MPM 20 (with gold-plated leads). It looks like the best they have, but unfortunately it is not featured in any of the internet shops or Caddock dealers websites. Can you recommend where to buy them?
I realize this is a thread about resistors. I've ordered some PRP to try out in a vintage Marantz 2270 receiver on the preamp board I'm rebuilding to compare with the stock carbon resistors Marantz put in there. But I noticed in an earlier post by Rodman99999 raving about the sonic qualities of a vintage Tungsol CTL/6sn7GT tube. I am about to receive a preamp that uses two 6sn7( I believe the factory tubes are a NOS Sylvania 6sn7 type, but was curious how the Tungsol tube mentioned would sound like. I just did a check on Ebay and what few there are of this tube, the prices are ranging from $375.00/ pair to $675.00/pair. Are these NOS tubes really worth this much? Wow!
I have a direct comparison of PRP resistors to Shinkoh Tantalums. This past weekend I replaced 8 PRP resistors (4 per channel)with Shinkoh Tants. Now my Audio Note Home brew M3 phono circuit has 6 tants per channel. 2 of those are Audio Note tants. As soon as I turned on the pre and started playing music there was an immediate and dramatic improvement in the quality of the sound. So much smoother and beautiful sounding. The increase in musicality was compelling. Of coarse the Tants are not even close to being broken in and I am noticing a bit of emphasis on the leading edge of instruments that may or may not go away. Now the circuit has a nice mix of Allen-Bradley, Tants and 2 PRP. I have the option of adding even more A-Bs if I want to totally get rid of the PRPs.

In my opinion if you are going to use PRP use very sparingly or use them to get your project up and running and plan to replace. Until this weekend, I had no idea what true potential the AN Phono pre and Rega TT was capable.
@Sherod- If the NOS Sylvanias are the bottom-gettered, VT-231 type(from the 40's); they are already excellent tubes. Very natural and transparent, like the Tung-Sols. The biggest noticeable difference, would be in the sound stage depth. That would be highly dependent on how well the rest of your system performs. Regarding the price: everyone has different takes on what's important and valuations, regarding presentation. If the Sylvanias aren't the above mentioned, get a pair of those(or bottom-gettered Ken-Rad VT-231s) to compare with the ones supplied. They aren't as salty as the Tung-Sols and may satisfy any desire to further roll your tubes. Hope the OP doesn't mind us hijacking the thread!