What's your profession? Age?

Just thought after the "how much is your system worth" post that it would be nice to see what all these people do to get $80K systems, and perhaps how long it takes. I'm a 29-year old economist for the gov., just completeed my Ph.D. last month, and my system is at about $10K. Just a pup hoping to keep upgrading...
128x128felthove
I'm 42 and edit TV shows, commercials, corporate videos, etc. I have produced and directed a few music video and music DVD projects, one of which is distributed nationally in the stores. (even worked on a Sufjan Stevens project!) I'm hoping to sell a TV show pitch- then I can really get a good system!

I sometimes mix projects on my home system, so I get to deduct some of it, which really helps with the cost. It can be tied to a full non linear video editing system (about 30K) in the next room to evaluate mixes done on that system, and see what the videos look like projected via DLP for clients.

After this latest analog front end upgrade I am waiting to be delivered I'll probably have about a $45K retail 2 channel system (HT adds another 4 or 5K including projector). Some bought used, some demo gear - so it didn't cost that amount.

I Listen to mostly LP's these days. I was lucky enough to rediscover vinyl around 1990, when people were selling their vinyl by the milkcrate load to local stores. I bought in a fairly short time (2 years ) about 4,000 records including a nice jazz collection. I knew very little about jazz at the time except I liked it, and found a great guy at a local record and book store was an audiophile and had an encyclapedic memory for musically and great sounding LP's. I still have many Jazz LP's I have yet to clean and listen to, and lately have been opening up some sealed OJC reissues, which is fun.

I'm doing my first analog upgrade since around '90 when I bought a nice used table, which has served me well. I kind of feel guilty about this recent massive analog upgrade (about $13K with phono pre) and family members don't understand it since I have good 'table, but it will most likely be my last front end upgrade since to get to the next level of quality would probably be $20-30K on a front end alone, and I don't see much chance of that happening.

I decided not to post under my real name for a few reasons.
Music Recording Engineer in the Film and Record Industry. I'm 55. Two systems
Audio room $60K, Video room $50K. It's not a hobby.
Now 37, arbitration guy for online auction remarketer of wholesale vehicles, gear about 12k now...
Ok, I'm a geek. Was wondering if the data in this thread might be useful, so I charted the ages.

www.hagtech.com/blog/images/audiogon.jpg

Interesting. Only 3 out of 304 responses were age 60+. Now is that representative of the true audiophile population, or does it reflect computer and Internet savvy? Maybe loss of hearing? I really don't know, and am curious to hear your theories and interpretation of the data.

I found it comforting to see so many in the younger 20 to 35 group. Seems high-end isn't going anywhere. The 35 to 55 group is huge.

jh