How did your sound system evolve?

How did your sound system evolve?
Here is how my sound system evolved over the past 40 years on a 'beer budget' and with a few missteps and a few side way purchases: http://arcamadeus.simplesite.com/305336804
arcamadeus
Ah, Rlwainwright, your story sounds a little too familiar! Yours was one of the last threads I participated in before the Emotiva forum banned me. I had been a member for about 4 years, and had seen many get banned for not agreeing with the group think(emotiva is nectar from the Gods). Oddly enough I just read a thread on Audioholics where an Emotiva customer got banned for starting a thread in which he lists his concerns.

Anyway, didn't Big Dan buy your Butler amp? Glad you're happy with the XPA-5, I was underwhelmed with my XPA amp, but such is life, and it's all the better with good audio!
1970 - Dual TT 1219 w/Shure V15 type II, Sansui Au555 integrated, Pioneer 63DX speakers, Teac 4010S reel.

1982 - Sonograph TT w/MMT Arm & Talisman S Cartridge, NAD 3150 integrated, Pyramid Met 7s w/Aparture Sub.

1985 - Replaced NAD with B&K ST140 amp & Pro10 pre.

1987 - Replaced speaker system with used Vandersteen Model IIs.

1992 - Added Carver CD player with tube output stage.

1995 - Replaced Vandersteens with Sound Dyamics 3Ti speakers.

2010 - After 25 years sold the B&K amp and Pre. Sold the 3Tis. Bought a Vincent 226MKII integrated, Paradigm Studio Ref 20s, Rotel 975 CD player.
Started checking into computer audio.

2011 - Bought PS audio Digital Link III w/M2tech Hiface USB/SPDIF converter burned CDs to MAC Mini as AIFF files.

2012 - Replaced Rotel with Arcam DVD137, Replaced Studio 20s with Esoteric MG 10s, loaded Pure Music onto computer.

2013 - Replaced Vincent with used BEL 1001 Mk 5 amp and Jolida Fusion pre. Replaced PS audio DAC with Bryston BDA-1 and Hiface with Audiophilleo II w/ pure power. Moved system to dedicated room. Playing with acoustic treatments since, making own panels and bass traps. System truly pleases me and I don't anticipate changes in near future.

Have owned the Sonograph TT since 1982, currently w/ Bluepoint No. 2.

Thanks for this opportunity.
I experienced borderline satisfaction for a long time - until I found Audiogon forums and recommended buys by Stereophile and others. Good start in 74 with a Pioneer 1050 receiver that outmatched the series 1 901’s. Sold everything when I joined the Navy and went through several entry level systems over 22 years. Getting back into it in 2003, I made a mistake mixing a Yamaha Receiver with a pair of Klipsch RF-7’s (tweeter harness issues). It was then that I started researching online audio sites and speaking with audiophiles who were far more experienced.

Around 2004, I pursued a newer, common scientific approach - very carefully matching higher end recommended components. Now, after I return home from audio shows or concerts, I immensely enjoy listening to my home music system.
My first system was an old Admiral I think that a neighbor gave me.Then I bought another Admiral with swing down turntable and detachable speakers in the mid 1960's.Basically junk.I wish I would have taken a picture of all the cars I've owned.I still have my Dual 1019 and owner manual I bought new from the 60's after suffering with the rumble on a Garrard syncro lab.