Best single-malt Scotch...

I have to give credit to Redwiki for the inspiration to start this thread. Yes, certain malts better compliment certain music or certain moods. Of the fifteen or so different malts in my cabinet right now, my favorites are: Aberlour "Antique", similar to the popular Macallan, but not as syrupy; a bit drier, light hearted and less complicated; great with Mozart and Brubeck. Mortlach "Limited Edition" cask strength. Powerful, smoky, mysterious. Great with Bartok, Berg and late 'Trane. Loch Morar 25 yr old. Incredibly complex and intense, with a hint of honey and flowers. Great with Poulenc, Stravinsky and Bill Evans. Any other single-malt aficionados out there?
frogman
A lot of the distilleries are offering their own cask strength or special bottlings these days--those are going to be really safe. But, I see your point with respect to the private labelings... With that said, there are reputable specialty bottlers. The Springbank 32yo cask strength I got, for example, was an Adelphia bottling. While Adelphia, to my knowledge, has now turned to dust, at the time it was a respected private labeler. There are also other specialty private label bottlers--Cadenhead, McMurry & McDavid to name a few--where you are pretty well assured that what you are getting is what it says on the label. Unfortunately, the label may be right, but the scotch may not be what you expect--may have been an experiment by the distillery using a different type of cask, for example. Still, they are interesting to try...
I'm a long time Bourbon drinker. I must admit to being intimidated by the price and selection of singe malts. Also, I once had a near death(but not near enough) hangover experience, resulting from some sadistic concoction called a "Rusty Nail"(Scotch and Drambuie).

I was recently introduced to the "Highland Park 18yr" and was impressed enough to research Scotch on the internet. This morning, I drove to my favorite spirit merchant who generously guided me through an impromptu tasting. I sipped several fine single malts selected to introduce me to the different styles and regions. It wasn't long before I found myself comparing everything to the "Laphroaig quarter cask". It was like being at some social event, where your expected to mingle, but find yourself unable to take your mind off one particular lady in the room.

So, I'm seeking advice. This is probably a dumb question to ask a bunch of audiophiles but here it goes: Should I be contented with heaven or search for the best neighborhood in heaven. What next?
Phaelon, what bourbon do you prefer, I hope you've tried the Small Batch Collection, ie, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden,Booker's or Bakers...Knob is exceptional, especially for manhattans, named for a creek on the land Abe Linclon was born, Bookers is/was made by Booker Noe, Jim Beam's grandson who unfortuantely passed away in 2005, argueably the best bourbon in the world, only one uncut and unfiltered from the barrel, Basil Hayden is Old Grand-dad, probably seen that one out there, Basil has a higher rye content making it a little lighter, similar to Maker's Mark, and Baker's is made by Baker Beam, Jim Beam's grand nephew, using a yeast that's been alive for over 50 years...I know sounds like I'm a professional but just a bourbon lover!
Hi Pops,
I don't recall trying the Basil Hayden, the other two I have, they're fine bourbons. I like the Jefferson Reserve and am still enjoying, the now discontinued, Hirsch 16yr. Have you tried the Jim Beam Black? I think it's impressive considering bang for the buck.
Phaelon,

Basil Hayden is the best of the bunch, in my opinion. Wonderful stuff. As for single malts, I invite you to take a look at my system photos:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1130505439&view

Note the LP rack...and half of the whisky collection on top :) (the other half is on the other side of the room). By the way, the second bottle from the lower left is Basil Hayden. You should, in my opinion, test the Scotch waters further. Single malt whisky has a wider range of flavors and aromas than any other spirit, and some of the best aren't necessarily that expensive. Slainte!