Soooo many choices.

I think my next upgrade will be to add a DAC. Thinking of somewhere in the 500-1000$ range, used is fine. But, I've been reading lots of you folks' posts and sale ads and test/reviews and ya'll aren't making it easy! lol

We have wireless here in the house and adding streamer capabilities to the system is planned. But getting gear that's better than the mainstream stuff I'm used to, and choosing which will work to make the end result happen wisely, and, picking which we can afford in the correct order is making it real tough to piece it together.
doggitter
One last point to consider - on some dacs not all inputs have the same Max sample rate. Very often one input will process a lower rate.
What is dsd?

The problem with listing what I want is that I don't really know what I want, other than a simple, no frills unit that sounds fantastic, has a usb and a digital input for the cdp. Flashy and busy won't cut it.

I'm guessing by your post upsampling is bad? Seems lots of text I've read about it before led me to believe it's desirable.

The buttons on the cdp remote is all(and more than) I really care to have a remote for. Not really into bells and whistles.
For that price you can get a used Eastern Electric Dac+ with the discrete op-amps. Mine made great music for a long time before I bought an AMR 77. And the EE Dac+ was very close to the overall performance of the much more expensive AMR.
Just another option....If you order the Schiit (or any DAC) from audioadvisor.com you get a no-hassle 30 day return policy, free shipping, no re-stocking fee and just pay return shipping. You can also often find returns there for a substantial discount (go to 'Clearance', then 'Demo Clearance Items'). I demoed a Gungnir from them and all it cost was the $32 return shipping. BTW, PayPal isn't listed as an option on their site but they will take it if you order by phone. I have no affiliation with them.
Doggitter - ask yourself some simple questions.

What sampling rates do you want to listen too
- 16/44, 24/96, 24/192, 24/384, or better...
- you get what you pay for and for the best you pay lots

Do you want to get up off your butt to change sources?
- some people do not

Do you want to know the sample rate of the file playing?
- some people find it handy

Do you want upsampling?
- if done write then it can be appealing so some DACs
- My issue was how the Dacmagic upsampled
- go listen to both - if you can't tell it becomes moot

DSD is Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) is the trademark name used by Sony and Philips for their system of recreating audible signals, which uses pulse-density modulation encoding, a technology to store audio signals on digital storage media that are used for the Super Audio CD (SACD).

- if you have a SACD transport then you would need it for best results
- it is out there in many DACs
- It is out there in HD tracks
- most other digital formats are there also, so at present you are not limiting yourself too much if you don't have it

Doc77 makes a good case - check it out
Dragon1952 - has a great audition option

Other DACs to consider - the PS Audio Nuwave and Perfect Wave - great product also - Dragon1952 likes the NuWave (from another thread :-)

I've never auditioned them, but I know other PS audio product and they are very well built and they use a big toroid transformer for the power supply - provides for great dynamics