Odd rock trivia-Who knew?

Wandering thru the garage band thread inspired a little Wikipedia session that revealed these two quirky bits of trivia:

The original "second guitar" to Eric Clapton in Derek and the Dominos was not Duane Allman. It was Dave Mason. Mason is a very capable player, but... Somehow, it's hard for me to imagine what that band would have sounded like without the switch to DA.

And

Ed King, of Lynyrd Skynyrd, was a founding member of Strawberry Alarm Clock (Incense and Peppermints). Talk about a strange stylistic shift.

Who knew?
martykl
Philo,

Allmusic may have missed it or not have seen it as significant, but, per Wikipedia, Mason was replaced before the record was recorded. Evidently D&D rehearsed and/or gigged with Mason, but either canned him or saw him quit before hitting the studio. Check Mason's Wiki page or just google "Dave Mason Derek Dominos".
Delaney & Bonnie are the common element to Dave Mason and Eric Clapton/Derek & the Dominos.
Speaking of Delaney & Bonnie I picked up an LP at a thrift store by Jimmy Hoff"I heard Somebody Needed a Guitar Player".A really good record,by a really good guitarist.The music is Jazz/Soul/Blues.It's on the Private Artists label of St. Louis.Google shows that he was the longtime guitarist for Bonnie Bramlett pre-Delaney.He now runs an ad agency.Well recorded and well played