Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways an HBO documentary

HBO has a new documentary series called Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways. It was conceived and directed by Dave Grohl.

While I’m not a big Foo Fighters fan, Dave Grohl did a remarkable job with the Sound City documentary, so I've been anxious to see this.

The idea is to visit 8 different cities that were/are vital to music in America to see how much the people, places and culture influence the music. Then write a song per city and then put out an album with the music that was inspired.

The first installment was set in Chicago. They interviewed Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt, Rick Nielsen and several others including producer/engineer Steve Albini. I never knew all the info around Steve and was pleased to get more info on this incredibly talented man.

The song that was written and recorded at the end of the segment was awesome. Major ROCK-N-ROLL. Hard driving and really, really good.

I can't wait for the future shows. This is a must see!
128x128mofimadness
Austin is on the list. They're taping an ACL segment here tomorrow night. Agreed, very good, in depth series that's really about the music.
Like him or not, Dave Grohl, is the MAN!

He has done so much for music fans since the demise of Nirvana. I am pretty sure that his wealth from those days would have lasted him for many, many years. Still, he took on new projects and constantly perpetuates his talents.

This latest endeavor, Sonic Highways, is too cool. Certainly, every major U.S. city has a musical history and story to tell.
And this is only major cities. Imagine, smaller cities or even large towns. There is a musical plethora out there yet to be discovered. ROCK ON!
The series is quite watchable, and I like the focus on the more obscure players on each scene, but has anyone noticed how every new song the FF play at the end sound exactly the same?
The fourth installment was in Austin. I have learned so much about the different cities so far in this documentary series.

I didn't know that the music scene is Austin, as it is today, might be very different if Willie Nelson hadn't returned to Austin from Nashville.

I also wasn't aware that the show Austin City Limits has been going for almost 40 years! And that Willie was the first to play on that show.

They interviewed Jimmie Vaughan, Willie Nelson, Gary Clark Jr., Billy Gibbons, and Terry Lickona who has been the producer of Austin City Limits since 1978.

They let the Foo Fighters play and record their song in the old studio 6A that Austin City Limits used for many years, (they have since moved to a new state of the art facility).

I have been to SXSW several times, but not recently since it's gone pretty commercial and pretty much zoo like. I did have a wonderful time, each time I went, but fear I might not make it out alive, if was to return. :-)

Again, I have really enjoyed this new series and hope the remainder of the episodes are as good as the first four.
The fifth segment was filmed in Los Angeles although most of the action takes part "outside" of the LA area.

I had never heard of Rancho de la Luna before. It's a pretty crappy, rundown house in the desert that has a world renowned recording studio inside. They talked a lot about the two guys that started it and it is still used to this day.

They also flashed back to Rodney Bingenhiemer's club that was very popular in the 1970's. His "English Disco" was home to some of the soon to be top acts from that era.

I also learned about "generator parties". They would take a gas generator out into the desert and plug in all of their instruments and play out in the middle of nowhere.

They interviewed Joan Jett, Joe Walsh, Joshua Homme, David Catching and a few others.

The song called "Outside" was written and recorded at Rancho de la Luna.

Each week has had a pretty interesting show and I've learned
quite a bit that I didn't know.