Hot Stamper - myth or reality?

Can someone please explain to me exactly what is a "hot stamper" LP? I figure that it's an older, original pressing of an album, but so what? If that's the case, then wouldn't every old LP be a hot stamper? Is there something special about a hot stamper pressing that differs from just an ordinary first, or older, pressing?
Some of the prices I've seen here and on other sites (Better****.com)are astronomical (and ridiculous in my opinion).
I'm beginning to think it's all a scam or a marketing ploy with not basis in reality. Unless someone can explain to me why they are better or what's so good about them.
Advice?
ebuzz
Correction... Those assume they are getting a superior pressing because they are TOLD it is superior.
A very interesting article and probably Tom Port is the most serious audiophile among those who live from it. He listens to the records and knows very well what awful stuff is hyped and sold. What is worse? His time to find something and make some money with it or the endless monthly hype from awful recordings our beloved reviewers rave about? I sunk 15k in this reissue crap, now I think, when I would have bought some stampers from TP, I would have done a better investment.
My choice is TP and his opinion to show the longest finger of his hand to others is ok. There should be more out there. But this is my private opinion.
A System is a System, some are good, some not. When his System sounds good enough for his ratings, fine.
I think that he could do a lot better on the system. I'd bet that there are current amp/preamp combos or integrateds that would allow differences between lps to be heard a lot more clearly than a 70s receiver would. His receiver seems to get the job done for him though.

I liked the 50/50 split on the heavy vinyl/hot stamper test. It's more evidence of how big a role personal preference plays in audio matters.