Hot Stamper - myth or reality?

Can someone please explain to me exactly what is a "hot stamper" LP? I figure that it's an older, original pressing of an album, but so what? If that's the case, then wouldn't every old LP be a hot stamper? Is there something special about a hot stamper pressing that differs from just an ordinary first, or older, pressing?
Some of the prices I've seen here and on other sites (Better****.com)are astronomical (and ridiculous in my opinion).
I'm beginning to think it's all a scam or a marketing ploy with not basis in reality. Unless someone can explain to me why they are better or what's so good about them.
Advice?
ebuzz
As most know records are made from stampers which are made from mothers which are made from the master. The closer you get to the master, the better the pressing. You surely don't want the 10,000th copy from the 6th mother if you can get one that is fresher and nearer the master.
Now, I'm heart broken! I decided to look in my pile of older, not so clean LPs and there it was: Led Zepelin II with the now infamous "RL" in the dead wax! Son of a **%**. Does that qualify as a hot stamper? Duh, I guess so.
I've had it sitting these all along since when it first came out.
Now I've gotta try my best to clean in up.
Ebuzz- there is a fair amount of discussion on the web about the 'RL' cut of LZ II. The biggest issue with these is that many are trashed. Check to see if it is inscribed 'RL' on both sides- some copies are not. The preferred copy is apparently one with the RL and 'SS' (Sterling Sound) markings on both sides, and with narrower deadwax on side two. It took me a while to find a quiet, minty copy, but even one that is VG+ will give you a sense of what this record can deliver. It's a good one.
PS There are also RL mastered copies of The Band's self-titled album with the lime green Capitol label - another jewel, musically and sonically.