Hot Stamper - myth or reality?

Can someone please explain to me exactly what is a "hot stamper" LP? I figure that it's an older, original pressing of an album, but so what? If that's the case, then wouldn't every old LP be a hot stamper? Is there something special about a hot stamper pressing that differs from just an ordinary first, or older, pressing?
Some of the prices I've seen here and on other sites (Better****.com)are astronomical (and ridiculous in my opinion).
I'm beginning to think it's all a scam or a marketing ploy with not basis in reality. Unless someone can explain to me why they are better or what's so good about them.
Advice?
ebuzz
I have several copies of at least three of my favorite albums. They all sound different. I would not doubt that some copies that have been produced have even better sonics than others. No two of anything is ever exactly alike. There must be many variables that can alter the sound from one copy to another.

You have to be an "audiophile" to hear a difference. Most people would say that they sound the same and wonder why you have more than one copy.
The hot stamper phenomenon is not a myth. I've done shoot outs myself with different pressings of the same title, different countries (UK vs. Holland vs. USA pressings for example) plus different sound from different pressings (early vs. later pressings of same title; for example I listened to 3 different eras of UK pressings of Jethro Tull's "Stand Up" and they all sound different) NOW I have also discovered that what is sold as a Hot Stamper MAY NOT be the best sounding ... I compared my MFSL pressing of Alan Parsons "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" with a costly Hot Stamper and the MFSL won hands down. BUT some costly Hot Stampers are the real deal and blow the pants off my MFSL pressings (Steely Dan's "Katy Lied", Crusaders "Chain Reaction" for examples). NOW the question is, after spending $10 K on a phono section, $20 on a table, $20 K on a tube pre.. $$$$ on cables, is it worth it to you to find and obtain the best pressings of your favorite records for a couple of hundred dollars?