Does it bother you?

I'm a recording engineer who has worked in some of the world's top facilities. Let me walk you though an example signal path that you might find in a place like, say, Henson Studio A:

1. Microphone: Old. Probably a PCB inside. Copper wiring.
2. Mic cable: Constructed in house with $1/ft Canare Star Quad, solder, and a connector that might have been in the bottom of a box in the back.
3. Wall jack: Just a regular old Neutrik XLR connector on the wall.
4. Cable snake: Bundles of mic cables going to the control room.
5. Another XLR jack.
6. Another cheap mic cable.
7. Mic preamp: Old and lovely sounding. Audio going through 50 year old pots.
8. Patchbay: Another cheap copper cable is soldered into a patchbay where hundreds of connectors practically touch.
9. TT Cable: Goes from one patch to the next in the patch bay. Copper. No brand preference.
10. DB25 connector: Yes, the same connector you used to connect a modem to your computer in 1986. This is the heart and soul of studio audio transfer.
11. DB25 cable to the console: 25 strands of razor-thin copper wire, 8 channels of audio, sharing a ride.
12. The mixing console: PCB after PCB of tiny copper paths carry the audio through countless op amp chips.
13. DB25 cable to the recording device: time to travel through two more DB25 connectors as we make our way to the AD converters or tape machine.
14. AD conversion: More op amp chips.
15. Digital cable: nothing fancy, just whatever works. USB and Firewire cables are just stock.

...and this is just getting the audio into the recorder.

Also:

None of this equipment has vibration reducing rubber feet, it's just stacked haphazardly in racks. Touching.

No fancy power cables are used, just regular ol' IEC cables.

Acoustic treatment is done using scientific measurements.

Words like "soundstage" and "pace" are never uttered.

Does it bother you? Do you find it strange that the people who record the music that you listen to aren't interested in "tweaks," and expensive cables, and alarm clocks with a sticker on them? If we're not using any of this stuff to record the albums, then what are you hearing when you do use it?
trentpancakes
I view most recording engineers as a person just doing a job with very little(if any) passion(think of Homer Simpson sleeping on the job) regarding sound quality.

That couldn't be further from the truth. Read any recording engineer's trade mag... recording engineers are obsessed with sound quality, and getting raw emotion to turn into electricity on magnetic storage. Check out 'Sound on Sound' or 'Tape Op' to hear the language of the recording studio. You'll find there's almost zero overlap in terminology or focus. An engineer who claimed a digital cable "improved pace" would be laughed out of the control room before never being called for work again. Even the top manufacturers of recording equipment are quite resolute in saying that all digital interconnects are the same as long as they complete the circuit. Can you imagine an audiophile company saying the same?

The difference is, we put the obsession into tangible improvements. Yes, I absolutely could get a 1% increase in fidelity if I changed out the resistors in all of my equipment for Vishay Dale, and if avoided the DB25 interconnects and kept short signal paths. I could absolutely do it. But why spend my time on that if I can get a 50% increase in performance quality by getting the singer riled up and reminding him why he wrote the song, or picking up a coffee for the drummer who's feeling left out again? That kind of thing pays dividends.

The obsessive-compulsive stuff pays off very little in the end and, in my opinion, doesn't make an album more listenable. What makes an album transcendent is emotion, power, fragility... For very little money and effort, we can get to 99% perfect fidelity. It's the final 1% that costs millions and adds very little.

I never listened to Abbey Road and thought, "Man, if only they'd recorded this through 24-bit 192Khz A/D converters along unidirectional silver mic cables. Then they'd be on to something." No, all that distortion, 50hz hum, tape hiss, and background noise adds up to something beautiful.
What makes an album transcendent is emotion, power, fragility... For very little money and effort,

True enough but if it is a crappy recording quality does the emotion, power, fragility come through?
"True enough but if it is a crappy recording quality does the emotion, power, fragility come through?"

In general, for me as long as I do not hear any unpleasant noise or distortions that should not be there in the first place, it works for me.

As an analogy, abstract art ie Monet is a highly distorted reproduction. It's the distortions itself that make for the unique artistic experience.

On the other hand, for example, any noise or distortion in my TV picture tends to negatively affect my enjoyment.
Yes, emotions comes through loud and clear on even crappy recordings. Listen to anything by Robert Johnson, Louis Armstrong from the 20s, or most any mid thru late period Rolling Stones.