Removing components from between the speakers

I've read many of the previous threads on this question - longer IC's vs. longer speaker cables - but what I'm writing about is what I read in Jim Smith's book "Get Better Sound" about removing ALL components and racks between the speakers and setting everything up side-stage, so to speak.

Has anyone done this? If I do, it'll necessitate longer speaker cables and a longer set of IC's from the tt to the amp.
128x128simao
I've always read and heard that imaging and soundstaging is better especially if no TV is between the speaker and I guess I shouldn't worry about mounting my TV on the wall now...

Wig ;)
Not so Wig, you mind knows pixels are the mortal enemy of serious music, good for rock though.

Nonoise, you tell it like it is .
Maybe the OP can simply keep the rack where must be due to cost and wires and simply move the speakers to accommodate it. When Sumiko demonstrated gear at audio shows they were stuck with horrible hotel rooms. The Master Set method of speaker placement places the speakers where they sound best regardless of or in spite of what's in the room. Racks, furniture, TV or washer/dryer, you can do it. There is no formula that reliably predicts the exact placement. The speakers will not be in an exact equilateral but with patience, will sound their best. Play the room. Try it.
In my room it's not feasible to put the rack on a side wall. However, I have gotten better soundstage depth and imaging by keeping the rack and gear as low as possible. I have Harbeth mini monitors, so anything that is at their hight between them affects the acoustics negatively. A two shelf double-wide rack is much better than a single-width four-shelf version, at least in my room to my ears. And adding additional isolation under each component and under the speakers is crucial.