XLR vs RCA

Hello! My name's Cody; I work for TARA Labs. Not here to promote anything, this is just a disclaimer.

It seems that the majority of termination requests we receive at TARA Labs are for balanced (XLR) lines. Personally, I use unbalanced (RCA) interconnects with my Cary system setup, which seems to work quite well. I would be interested in hearing other opinions regarding XLR vs RCA?

(Please note that I have posted this on a few forums. I am not spamming, but rather would like to hear a wider range of opinions. I will make an effort to respond to all appropriate posts.)
codytara
I would not buy any audio equipment or cable without XLRs.
In a nut shell a Balanced signal means better, stronger and cleaner signal between devices.
I prefer XLR connectors. They always fit, never get loose, Sound great, have less metal mass to pass a signal than an RCA typically, although WBT and Furrutech make some good RCA's, I have never had to repair or replace an XLR. I have replaced numerous RCA connectors. I use both, but prefer XLR if so equipped. This is not saying I prefer a balanced circuit, just the connector. The circuit is a different topic. PT
I will repeat again and again, from my experience.
XLR will provide the "gain" that you need when used with a system that has passive preamp. My amp came alive when fed with XLR compared to RCA. Don't know if that was the designer's preference for the amp to sound optimal using XLR input.
"12-24-14: Milpai
I will repeat again and again, from my experience.
XLR will provide the "gain" that you need when used with a system that has passive preamp."

I don't see how that's true. Gain varies from component to component. Also, you can get good results using a passive preamp with single ended gear. The vast majority of passives are not balanced.
Codytara, Given all the different personalities, each with their own individual systems and the many variables, I don't see how you're going to collect any kind of meaningful data here. These days balanced and pseudo balanced electronics seem to be in vogue, not my taste but that's the market. Personally I don't like nor buy into the balanced argument and find SE designs much more musical an natural sounding; but has no effect on your market.

david

Disclaimer- Dealer