Uneven speaker cable lengths?

I switched back to Vandersteens a while back and am trying to extract the last bit out of the setup. I have been using Cardas Clear with great success. However Clear can not be biwired, and Clear Beyond is out of my range.

Would I notice a difference if I use a 2m pair on one side and a 3m pair on the other side.

I am currently trying Clear Reflection biwired, and the biwired setup is an improvement in many ways. But the Clear is more to my liking.
kettle7830
I would say it is unlikely that you would notice a difference; however, you might consider going with equal lengths for the high and low inputs rather than left and right. The length of the cable has a direct impact on resistance which has a direct result on volume level. It is unlikely, but theoretically possible that you could detect a level imbalance. I think that would be a more significant potential issue compared to any timing issues from the difference in length.

The real question is what do you believe? Will you every be satisfied knowing you have unequal lengths?

Different lengths will affect the imaging and coherence.

Take a look at the answer for the bi-wire question at Vandersteen FAQ.
Many people will tell you that it won't make any difference. On the other hand if you believe that cables affect sound then most likely this effect will be proportional to the length of the cable. I might not be able to hear the difference but I would never shorten the cable - it will be difficult to sell.
This question has been discussed here in a number of prior threads, usually involving greater cable lengths and greater cable length differentials than you are considering. As is often the case in cable-related discussions, there has not been a clear consensus.

I almost always agree with my learned A'gon colleague Tony (Tls49), and I am certainly hesitant to disagree with the estimable Mr. Vandersteen, but in this case I see it differently than both of them.

**If** the cables are chosen such that their intrinsic sonic characteristics and the interaction of their technical characteristics with the particular amp and speakers result in the longer cable behaving in an essentially neutral manner (i.e., having insignificant effects on the signal), then the shorter one will too.

**If** on the other hand the cables are chosen such that the longer cable DOES NOT behave in an essentially neutral manner in the particular application, then it seems to me that there is no way to predict which of the following two alternatives will be better/preferable:

(a)Using two 3-meter lengths, thereby avoiding the possibility Mr. Vandersteen mentions of compromising imaging and coherence.

(b)Using one 3-meter length and one 2-meter length, thereby reducing/minimizing the sonic effects of the cable in one channel.

Given that a speaker cable can potentially affect a lot more than just imaging and coherence, with the degree of each kind of effect having little or no predictability, I see no reason to rule out the possibility that (b) might actually sound BETTER than (a).

Personally, though, considering the lengths that are involved in this particular case my suspicion is that it won't make a significant difference, or even a perceivable difference, either way.

Regards,
-- Al