Grover Huffman GH RCA ZX+ cables vs...

At the $200/pair price point new or used, how does GH ZX+ cables compare to others like Greg Straley Reality cables, Gabriel gold (GG) revelation/raptures and alike...

I am looking for a cable that is neutral, and does not act as a filter in any way to highlight a certain portion of the music. From top to bottom it must allow the source material to come through..
dvdgreco
Dvdgreco,

I didn't read through the entire thread so i don't know what you ended up with, but I can share my impression of a brief encounter with the excellent GH interconnects. What I heard sounded Incredibly good. Dimensionality and flow come to mind... they had a sweetness without sounding slow or colored and a sort of effortless harmonic flow that was very captivating. The only other cable that was on hand for comparison was the Reference Zentara @ $900. per meter pair...which was slightly more tonally neutral in my opinion with greater resolution, retrieval of fine detail with a bit more weight, focus and dynamic accuracy. The GH is worth more in my opinion and many very expensive cables will not let the music flow in such a special way.
This is system dependent. HiDiamond and Huffman may sound good for a while -- but only until you find out that there are much better cables out there. It just depends how far you want to go with this. It depends on how much time, effort and money you are willing to spend.

If you stop at a certain point and you are satisfied with the sound of your cables in your system then you're fine. But you can never find out about better cables once you stop. Which begs the question, is there no end to it? At some point you have to call it quits. Unfortunately, those with really good systems may be calling it quits prematurely with HiDiamond and Huffman cables, because they do not live up to the potential of the components in many high end systems, in my experience.

If you do continue to search for better cables, your earlier laudatory comments -- like my comments on many cable companies -- may eventually be quietly archived to the Used Cables Comments Vault. It's like finding a new DAC or amplifier that outclasses the one you already own. No different. You move on. I have been through countless cable companies in the past 9 years. Hi Diamond and Huffman ZX do not even even close to the cables I now have in my system.

Of course, one expects bravado from cables makers. What cable maker would not declare that he would put his cables up against the best cables out there, cables that are even far more expensive than his? We see these kinds of bold declarations time and again in Cableland. But this is simply marketing bravado. The obvious fact is that this does not mean their cables come close in SQ to the cables of other makers. It just means they are trying to put on a brave face.

The fact is that most cables makers would find their own cables put to shame if they had the courage to quietly install premium cables from competing cable makers in their own system. I have never heard a cable maker admit that a competitor makes better cables than he does. At the least, most cable makers declare that their cables are the best at their price point and that they punch "way above" it, whatever that means, with a deeper sound stage, blacker background, more detail and transparency, blah, blah, blah. As Ozzy has accurately pointed out, there is just so much BS out there from cable makers.

Caveat emptor.
I must also disagree with Sabai's statement "Huffman cables may sound good in an inexpensive system" my system is far from inexpensive, I have spent many years refining my system with some of the finest components on the market, Grover's wonderful cables have brought further refinement (at an excellent price). Based on the level of dedication Sabai has presented to attempt to defame Grover's cables it's clear to me that you have an ulterior motive and anyone who is researching Grover's cables should discard your comments.