Do expensive cables/wires REALLY make a difference

Im fairly new to the hifi world and just recently purchased a couple of high end peices.my question is this:ive been reading alot about cables and speaker wire,do the expensive ones really make that big of a difference???Is it really worth spending a small fortune on cables?? And is Monster Cable really overrated like ive been reading? Any help would be useful,thank you.
cwby8115
Arcticmonkey wrote,

"Instead of asking me for proof, ask for proof from the cable companies who use ridiculous claims and flowery language to sell their wares. Where is their proof? Nonexistent, because when the difference between cheap "zipchord" and expensive wire is actually measured. That difference is inaudible to the human ear."

That's precious. Now I see why the cable debate has been going on for 35 years.
@ Arcticmonkey,, Hi, I appreciate your passion here!, However, I will stand by my post and my word never!,, You must have not read clearly into my post,I said brands and models make a difference on all test, etc.., please read again, I also said that I agree with you pending what exspesive cables you are useing, If you use something like Taralabs omega gold 4 gauge that has a run per neg and pos speaker cables,, against any thing else period, I would gladly take money from you on a bet, likly, I would be a good samartin and give it back!, I have the omega gold speaker cable,, really, I can use the Taralabs the one cables to do the test and still win that I also own,, like Geoffkait said, the debate is endless, I wanted to put my two cents worth in, I will not debate, there is no way you can convince me cables do not make a difference, goodluck to you sir, and Happy listening to you as well.
Show me how precious I'm being Geoff.

You can't just write that without facts or figures to back it up. Give me some proof.

Is the fact that the debate has gone on for 35 years more of a point in your favor or mine?
Person could say

"I cannot hear the difference in sound while using different cables but perhaps others can"

instead of saying in denial

"I cannot hear the difference, therefore it has to be snake oil and anybody who claims to hear it is wrong".

Take it easy. It is absolutely normal that your hearing instrument might be not very sharp. No need to go into denial. People wear glasses (seeing aid) and are not afraid to admit that their vision is less than 20/20. Please don't be so defensive to call others sarcastically "Golden Ears".

Myself, I realize, that there are people on this forum with much better hearing than mine. Many of them are even orchestra musicians. Also, many people have more experience in audio, have more resolving systems and better room acoustics. I wouldn't dare to say they cannot hear the difference.
07-25-13: Kijanki
Take it easy. It is absolutely normal that your hearing instrument might be not very sharp. No need to go into denial. People wear glasses (seeing aid) and are not afraid to admit that their vision is less than 20/20.
It has always been curious to me how this very simple point is overlooked. If we got hearing aids at the same rate as eye glasses think of how many people would be wearing them.
And think how foolish some of us would look with big hearing aids sticking out of our ears saying, "There is absolutely no difference between this and that. I listened and heard nothing."

Some of my friends hear things I don't. But I'm never sure if they have better hearing or better imaginations...but I don't really care. I just know what I can hear.