Purist Audio Design - Dominus Interconnect Cable

Hi,

Not to downgrade the efforts of cable designers, for me cable industry is the least technical demanding one among the audio equipment manufacture field but the price tags grow exponentially in the past decade. I can pay for technologies like amorphous metal alloys from Stealth or the battery-biased designs of Audioquest. But Purist Audio Design provides inadequate information to convince me to make the purchase. Even their most advanced technology years ago – The Radiant Light Source (RLS), they did not explain the source of the designed illuminating light.

So help me here. How to justify the over $5,000 price tag of Dominus interconnect cable at 1-mter length.

Thanks and Happy Listening!

Otto
yu11375
I second what Stingreen said. I just recently auditioned the latest version of the Venustas. The sound was very smooth and the backgrounds very black. My main issue was that the music sounded a bit diffused to me. The instruments and vocals lost some of their focus and the size of the images became too big. Perhaps if I had a bigger room this effect would help fill the room and give an expansive sound but in my small room I prefer a more intimate sounding cable with better focus and imaging. So far, my Acoustic Zen Silver Ref II still is my goto interconnect. Its sound is very smooth and organic with lots of detail and focus. I may have to move up to the Absolutes.

To me the PAD Dominus interconnects are just right. I needed another set of interconnects for my turntable. I had a moment of doubt where I thought I could get by with something cheaper. I went shopping with The Cable Company. I had them send 3 different sets of cables. I listen to all of them and I only liked the lower line PAD cable but I had been listening to my Dominus cables so the lower line just did not do it for me. I sent all of them back.
Hi Coxhaus,

Thanks for your inputs to share your experiences.

I still waiting for another cable.

Otto
Hi Polygot,

I didn't forget about this and do appreciate helps and suggestions from the members here.

Personally I slightly agree with stringreen and tboooe that the Venustas in my system is colored. It floated the music too much to the degree it lost its focus.

For the past year, I switched my speaker from Piega P-10 to Monata EPX and my source from Resolution CD-55 to Ayon CD-5s. That's the reason I haven't post my update to the group.

There is one cable design claims his cable is smoother than Dominus. The cable will arrive in one week. Let's wait and see.

Happy Listening!

Otto
Now I am ready to provide my updates

First, my gears

Source: Ayon CD5s
Amplifier: EDGE NL Signature 1.2 mono blocks
Speaker: Montana EPX
Music: Classical

Cable under review:
1. Purist Audio Design(PAD) Proteus Provectus Revision
2. Crystal Clear Magnum Opus
3. Cerious Technologies Nano Reference

Background information:

First, Back in early 2001 when Stealth was not as famous as it is now, I was one of their early customers. The cables were sold at affordable prices. Now look at Stealth's cable, I can't pay such sky-high priced cables. All these years, I am searching for the cables from the next "Stealth".

Secondly, personally I really like the open soundstage and details silver cable provides me. On the other hand, I appreciate the weight of tone copper cable produces. General speaking I would focus on soundstage.

For the past whole year, I put both Proteus Provectus and Magnum Opus cables alternatively in my system. At more than one occasion, I just felt that Proteus Provectus gives too much echoing effects to smooth the sound. No doubt it is beautiful nonetheless the details are sacrificed too much.

For now, I am using between Magnum Opus and Nano Reference as my source can act like pre-amplifier to switch cables.