Stick a fork in Dylan, he's done.

Well maybe not as quite as Burton Cummings(LOL), but you have to admit his voice is gone along with subject matter. I'm sure he does. However I think he has produced a couple of top notch compositions of late. I'm a serious fan but his latest leaves something to be desired imo. I'm interested to know which couple of albums you think were his best of all. Mine are "Oh Mercy" and "Under The Red Sky". I'm impressed that imo, he peaked out that late in his career.
csontos
"Blood on the Tracks" and "Blonde on Blonde" are classics, if I had to pick only two. Dylan's voice may not be what it once was, but c'mon, anyone who says they buy Dylan albums for his voice is joking. It's the lyrics, the lyrics! BTW, I am a huge Dylan fan and really like nearly all of his material.
Ginsberg was definitely before my time even though I'll soon be 56. My involvement was more or less a position in no man's land. Under age in the midst of beatniks, protesters, peace activists and political radicals. I think they called us the "lost generation". I just googled Howl and had a listen. His influence on Dylan is unmistakeable. I do believe Dylan was in it for himself though. He's made that abundantly clear in past interviews. I think his own work titled Tarantula was an attempt to invent himself.
Glad to see that No Mercy is well regarded by others here. IMO his most underrated album. The SACD remaster sounds spectacular. For me--Blood On the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61. The new stuff is still good, not great,--although I do like Tempest a lot-- even if he croaks more than he sings--cause he can still emote. Saw him live last mo with Knopfler and found his band and the reimaginings of his classics to be stellar.
.....''Oh Mercy '' is one of my favorites. Real good stuff there....I still enjoy ; Time Out Of Mind ....a little dark for me but the message of him dealing with his own mortality is very clear. I for a long time in my life used to see him maybe two, three times a year and I'm going back to the 70's. I saw him at his best and saw him in his drunken worst....saw the Grateful Dead back him up as well as Tom Petty. ( only wished that I could have seen him be backed up by ; The Band ) I stopped seeing him about 7 years ago ....I couldn't take it any longer, it was painful. There were times that I couldn't even recognize the song that he was playing and when I figured it out.....I realized that he was ruining his own songs and the way that I grown to enjoy them and actually for them to be part of the fabric of my life..... '' Modern Times'' was the last one that I bought and I thought that it was okay to even ; '' this sucks ''. Make no mistake - there is NOBODY and I mean NOBODY after him