The best digital IC, period.

I've spent a great deal of time, too much really, to find the best IC between my transport to my DAC. After listening to six cables from some big names and big $$ as well as some not so well names for small $$. The winner came out to be a HAVE/CANARE $25 IC. With this cable there is no eye candy at all, ZED, but it's combination of GEPCO International, VSD2001 high definition 75ohm serial series digital coax, and CANARE true 75ohm RCA terminations, simply killed all of the esoteric cables with a few others coming in very very close, but the HAVE/CANARE $25, 3' was just beyond belief. Now I know that people feel strongly to use at least 1.5M in length for a DIC, but with this company I tried cables at length of 12" to 1.5M, i tried them all and the best of the buch was their standard 3' cable, defying the math. Hey, for 25$?
rpg
IMO RPG is to be commended and congratulated for the thorough, disciplined, and logical manner in which this comparison was conducted, as further described in this earlier thread.

I would emphasize, however, his reference in the OP above to "the best IC between MY transport to MY DAC." (Emphasis added).

Quoting from myself in this recent thread, in which my comment is based on the assumption that the main effect, and arguably the only effect, that a digital cable will have on sonics is via its effect on jitter:
Given reasonably good quality, I see no reason to expect a high degree of correlation between the effects of a given cable on jitter in one system, and its effects on jitter in another system. And many reasons to expect a low degree of correlation. The same even applies to the effects of a given cable on jitter in one system, and the effects of a different length of the same cable type in the same system.

An example: Impedance mismatches can be a significant contributor to jitter. No impedance match is perfect. If the input or output impedance of a component that is being connected is inaccurate to some degree, relative to the 75 ohm ideal for S/PDIF, then a cable whose impedance is SIMILARLY inaccurate will provide a better impedance match to that component than one that is more accurate.

The other major contributor to jitter that can be affected by the cable is noise, that is either "picked up" by the cable, or that results from ground loop effects between the components that are being connected. In general, a shorter cable length will minimize both of those effects. However, a shorter cable length will often worsen the effects of impedance mismatches, unless the cable is very short (see this paper). Whether noise-induced jitter or jitter that results from impedance mismatches will be a more significant issue in a given system cannot generally be predicted.

Putting it more generally, the effects of a given cable on jitter are dependent on a complex and largely unpredictable set of relationships and interactions between its parameters, including length, impedance accuracy, shielding effectiveness, shield resistance, propagation velocity, etc., and the technical characteristics of what it is connecting, including signal risetimes and falltimes, impedance accuracy, jitter rejection capability, ground loop susceptibility, etc.

My suggestion to the OP is simply that you try a variety of different cables at different price points, and make your own choice.
Regards,
-- Al
Ozzy, let this forum know your perception of this IC after introducing it into your system. I am very interested if you have similar results.

Almarg, thank you for your comments and description about the complexities of this interface as well as the links to other forums on the topic!

Rpg
The Ridge Street Poiema or the other better cables from RSA will beat this hands-down. You get what you pay for if you select the right manufacturer. I dont sell them nor am I affiliated.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve, always in search for real performance at sane prices, can you tell me what these cables you are suggesting cost? I will not deny there must be cables that can compete with my findings, but I only tried six cables and have never heard of Ridge Street cables. Can you elaborate a bit more please? Thanks!