Long XLR's: PAD Venustas versus Mogami

Does anyone have experience with changing a long Mogami interconnect with something like PAD Venustas? I'm wondering what the gains would be.

I'm currently auditioning PAD speaker cables (Proteus Provectus actually) and like them. I've read a lot about the PAD lineup, but don't know what the Mogami characteristics are (I don't have a 40' cable of something else to swap it with :-))

Thanks in advance.
madfloyd
I'll add to my previous post that a very experienced audiophile I know uses 30 feet of Oyaide PA-02 in a balanced configuration, with excellent results. It has much lower capacitance than the Mogami 2534. He has compared those two cables, and as might be expected the Mogami's presentation differed, in the direction of being more relaxed.

The Oyaide is about $28/meter in bulk (unterminated) form.

http://www.oyaide.com/e_audio/audio_products_files/pa-02.htm

http://thecableco.com/product.php?id=6451

Regards,
-- Al
Al, thank you for the advice. I thought the thing Mogami had going for it was low capacitance. As you mentioned, it doesn't seem easy to find the capacitance of the PAD.

At the moment I'm not using the REX, I'm using my Joule LA-150 SE preamp. It has an impedence switch inside to handle longer runs but I haven't switched it (at least not yet) because I am going out from that into a Rives PARC (which is balanced) and from the PARC I'm using a 40' run to the amps. What I don't know (and maybe you can shed some light on it) is what matters more in this situation - the output impedence of the PARC or the Joule.
Hi Floyd,

Driving the long cable from the PARC will make the output impedance of the preamp irrelevant. The only situation in which the output impedance of the component preceding the component driving the cable would matter (as far as that cable is concerned) would be if the component driving the cable were a passive preamp, or some other completely passive and unbuffered device.

I would characterize the Mogami's capacitance as being moderate, or perhaps a little on the low side of moderate. It is low enough to be negligible at more typical lengths, when driven by most components (including the Rex). One of its major strong points is its noise rejection performance.

Given the low output impedance of the PARC, I don't think that the sonic differences between the Mogami and other cables you may consider can be predicted based on technical factors.

Regards,
-- Al
I use PAD Venustas systemwide. Using all Purist cabling (and of a single model -- mostly) makes the synergy obtained with a single cable solution a REAL and AMAZING EXPERIENCE! This phenomenon is often raised, but I never heard it so well demonstrated as with the Purist products Other brands I've tried this way (single cable solution) include MIT, Straightwire, and Levinson GEL cabling. So that's my first comment.

It's easy to obtain electrical specifications/characteristics on any Purist products. Some products have their specs published online; other products you'll have to call. But c'mon . . . . if you're really seriously interested in ANY specific brand of audio gear, it only makes sense to establish at least a telephone relationship with the manufacturer; and I encourage you to do that with Purist. The owner's name is Jim Aud. He's soft-spoken and understated -- a REAL ENGINEER who knows his stuff, and not one of those "trial-and-error" gasbag, used-car cablemakers (think Virtual Dynamics ;--) The other "equivalent" product line (yes, even better than Siltech!) with some real engineering chops behind it, is Aural Symphonics in Phoenix. Tommy Dzurak, owner. (I use his AT&T glass fiber optical cable for my Wadia stuff ;--)

Back to Purist. Their Venustas line represents the MOST value-per-dollar of any cabling (including other Purist models) out there. Especially when you take the time, as I did (at first, just out of curiosity) to compare other excellent products with closely similar specs on a price per foot basis.

OK, I already mentioned power cords. As for your speakers: with those Wilsons, you need low INDUCTANCE speaker cables. The Proteus line is Purist's (only) SOLID conductor line, and therefore exhibits solid conductors' characteristic low CAPACITANCE -- an important quality (in a speaker cable) if you were driving electrostats. However, the Venustas line also has very low inductance AND capacitance; and should be fine with your Wilsons (and your other gear as well.) I DID break away from the Venustas line and used PAD's (very expensive) Dominus line power cords, simply because with my amp and power regenerator, the difference was huge, and obvious! However, I knew if I wanted an "all-PAD" system, I would have to be fiscally realistic ;--)) So I went for the Venustas. Interestingly my first PAD cables were Jim Aud's 'personal' Venustas tonearm cable and a pair of Venustas RCA IC's (phono preamp to preamp) he sold me for half-price when I wandered into his room at CES 6 years ago! He knew a customer whan he saw one!!

As for long runs of interconnect, don't worry about anything under 16 meters or 50 feet. And if you're using balanced IC's between pre and amp, you can go 100 feet or more. Purist Audio Design's single most important "claim to fame", and the first thing you notice, is that all their cable products have the quietist blackest backgrounds of any cable you've heard.

What strikes me about your system, is you paid a premium for all that that expensive Wilson engineering, based of course on properly mass-coupling a loudspeaker to the ground, and there they are -- on CASTERS?!!! That means that everything else up stream (expensive amps and sources) represent a tragic loss of great sound, not to mention their cost and all your effort. SURELY, you can find a more creative way to solve your HT + 2-CH issue?? And gosh, you'd get so much better/cleaner bass out of those great single channel tube amps, if you'd get each one right next to its respective speaker in order to get the most out of the tube amps' limited damping.

Anyway, putting cable selection aside for a minute, I see you've acquired some beautiful high performance gear which could provide some REALLY AMAZING 2-channel audio experiences, if only you'd think more critically about how it should be arranged and connected. Instead, you seem to be consumed with trying to have the best of both worlds! And it's simply NOT possible, no matter what anyone says -- and from what i see, it appears that most of your money is on 2-channel -- so that's where I'd focus, if it were my stuff ;--)
I can tell you from my experience in my system the PAD will sound slower and the bass will be less defined than the Mogami. ME, YMMV, etc.