Power Cords

I am considering changing out my stock PCs. I don't want to spend a mint on them though. But I do think that upgrading to an adequate guage and having them in the correct lengths should be an upgrade for my system (MA 6500, Hydra 6, ML Vantages, Marantz BD 7003, Vidikron VL-52, and to come a Cambridge 840C).

I am considering Signal Cables, Zebra Cables, Pangea, PS Audio Jewels, and Element Cables. They are all around $50-$60 each and are within my price range. Also, I am considering just buying some Volex 17604s. They are less than $10 a piece and seem to be highly regarded.

Have any of you used these diffent PCs and can you comment on their sound? I've also thought of Shunyata Diamondbacks. But the cost is at least 2X as much.

Any comments or direction are appreciated.
pokey77
Ok first let me say on the subject of crazy expensive power cords...........

You know, I'm just going to leave it alone this time.
I'll try to answer some of your questions or respond to some of your responses below.

I have my system pretty sorted out. I will add the CD player that I mentioned above hopefully on Friday. Hope to do some room work this summer.

I really don't think spending $600 for a used Python would be better than spending a few hundred on cords to upgrade the lot. I have two Venoms, one each on my Hydra 6 and Hydra 2 already. My system may not be the highest resolving, but it does a pretty good job.

"Read "Shorten those lengthy power cords?" 2-08-10." Did that a day or two ago.

I don't really consider McIntosh/Shunyata/ML to be "beginner" but whatever. I've been into High End for about 30 years. But I can't be accused of overspending either. I'm looking for affordable high end products and will most likely never spend $50k+ on a high resolving system. In the end, I just want to clean up my system a bit (have Harmonic Tech speaker cables and ICs). That's why after many years of occasionally frequenting this forum, I signed up yesterday looking for some advice.

And finally, I'm not spending my hard earned $$ on "crazy expensive power cords". A few hundo to outfit my system isn't going to break the bank. But a few Pythons would...

Again, anyone have experience with some of these and have favorites? And why?

Now, who else has some constructive help for me? Thanks....
The only constructive advice I can give you is to do as Snofun3 suggests and learn how to use the search function. Many of us have been through these wars before, and cable/cord threads can turn very volatile. There are believers and non-believers, both strongly entrenched, neither side willing to give. It can get ugly and it's not worth re-opening another can of worms.

Type "power cords" into the search function and get loads of information. Of course, just like anything else in audio, you will only get opinions, which you may or may not agree with. Since synergy is so important and musical preferences differ, take others opinions with a grain of salt. Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
John
i have to third or fourth agree with tvad. pool all you were going to spend on cords and get the best one you can for the hydra. it is going to be the most audible and, imo, effective way to address what you have suggested is your goal. i realize it is not what you want to hear.

for what it's worth, i think you have a great system. welcome to the forum. as mentioned, you did pick a volatile topic!