About speaker cables..

Are speaker cables the shorter the better ??THANKS!!
jitmingl
In the "Get Better Sound" book which I've just read the highly regarded author (can't recall his name) makes the point that it is much more important to locate your rack on a side wall. The negative effect of putting your rack in between your speakers is much worse than a longer run of speaker cable. If you're serious about soundstaging and having your speakers disappear it is critical to locate nothing on the front wall between them.

Although it is an excellent goal I would bet that most people are like me and don't have such a dedicated space to pull that off. Great book overall.
I use the OCOS cable Rrog speaks of and while I never compared my 5.5m length to a short OCOS run all I can say is that the music sounds darn fine to me. If the cable is doing some thing wrong due to the long run I can't hear it. Same was true when I used 5.5m runs of Supra Ply 3/4 and Morrow Audio SP3.

As Riz1 wrote the biggest improvement in my system was getting everything including the amps from between the speakers. My rack and amps are on the side wall now. So the long speaker cable run was well worth it to me.
Riz1, The preamp to amp IC xtion is at least an order of magnitude lower in voltage and thus more susceptible to EMI/RFI and other anomalies. Therefore keep the ICs short. Shielding is perhaps best left to another thread.

Putting the rack in the corner has worthwhile benefits as noted above [apart from acting as a non-bass trap with attendant resonance problems]. Keep the ICs and spkr cables short and use a low rack, or none at all.

That said, I run a modest 4M balanced pair made by my cable guru with proper attention paid to soldering & termination. Low cost, high rez [riz?] results. The tallish rack is near the corner but pulled out a few feet. The spkrs are well into the room as I am fortunate to have a 25' space to in which to play. Your mileage Will vary. Room treatments anyone?
The Quicksilver full function preamp is a good candidate for anyone that wants to run a long interconnect because of the preamp's low output impedance. The earlier Quicksilver preamp's output impedance was 12.5 ohms and the current model is only 1.5 ohms.