Aether Audio Black Box or Nuforce Magic Cube ???

Has anyone tried these black boxes that you hook-up at the end of your speaker cables yet? A lot of raves on the forums.
hifisoundguy
Bob, Thank you so very much for the much needed info.
It’s funny, how you described the SS filters, I feel that with the SS filter in the cube the music lost its 3 dimensional sound and yes the upper treble lost much of its air that was so beautiful without the filter in.

So, I prefer it without the filter, but perhaps I should try one of the other filters.
Which one would you recommend?

By the way, I am using a Pass Labs X350.5 Amp and Andra 2 speakers with Synergistic Apex Bi-wire speaker cabling.
As far as what the filters do goes... they help to reduce the effects of stored electrical energy within the speaker causing negative interactions with the driving amplifier. The amp and speaker are really a "system" and it can be a very complex one at that. The amp has enough "work" to do in sending the signal to the speaker to begin with. If it also has to contend with delayed energy being sent back to it from the speaker, that energy can cause the amp to make new "errors" (distortion).

Thanks for your explanation Bob, I found it very helpful in understanding more about how your product works. Regarding the above quote, is what you are describing here known as EMF or back wave? I use a set of pig tails made by Creative Cable Concepts that I place on the positive binding post of both the amp and speaker. Their purpose is to reduce EMF/back wave energy. I have noticed a lowering of the noise floor and smoothing out of the sound as you describe.

Another question, how does your product differ from products like the Walker speaker filters? I use a DIY version made by a friend of mine and the effects are positive, similar to the effects users of your product describe. I'd be curious if your product operates on similar principles.
Ozzy,

You are more than welcome! – Glad I could help.

As far as the observations you've made with the SCSS filter go, your intuition is correct. My advice would be to try the SCTL next. That may very well give the correct balance between absorbing the reflect energy from the speaker while avoiding any loss of detail. If that's still doesn't strike the right balance, then you can still try the SCTH filter. It offers the least amount filtering action and should not cause any loss of "air" or detail whatsoever – especially with your amp.

Clio09,

You are most welcome as well sir!

Yes, we are addressing the back-emf from the speaker as you suspect. The concept is no real secret and is relatively simple from an engineering standpoint, but it can make an amazingly significant improvement in performance.

I suspect that the Walker device performs a similar function, but from my observation of its physical size, I suspect it does not "reach" down into the audible band as far as our units do. You see, there are things going on in the ultra-sonic region that can give rise distortion in the audible band. Again, I suspect the Walker unit is concentrating its efforts primarily in this region. Our filters are designed to address the ultra-sonic region as well as reduce loudspeaker back-emf in the audible band as far down as 1kHz – depending on the model/values of the filter selected.

On the other hand, the Aether Audio Black Box / NuForce Magic Cube is a two-part process, with the filter being the simplest aspect. The fundamental section of both versions incorporates our proprietary "Smith Cell" technology (hey… we're all subject to a bit of vanity) and therefore we cannot disclose the method of its operation at this time. Seeing that we are in the process of applying for a patent and that it can be adapted to many areas of electrical engineering and products (including high resolution scientific apparatus), I'm sure you can understand our self-imposed limitations. Thanks.

What I can share is that it helps to reduce the problem I believe I have identified here: http://aetheraudio.com/Sub-Debye%20Phase%20Distortion%20rev1%20.pdf

I have a number of supporters in this effort, none the least of which are some well-known audio and electrical engineering PhDs – one of which is taking the paper to Essex University in the UK for further study.

Just "how" the Smith Cell works I must leave shrouded in some mystery for the time being, but I can tell you that it reduces the statistical likelihood of electron current flow through the conductors being "modulated" by phonon vibration, as identified in the paper above. Seeing that the process of phonon-electron modulation increases as a percentage of total current flow... as amplifier output current flow through the conductor decreases, the Smith Cell has its greatest effect on the weakest of audio signals. These weak signals carry the information that we refer to as detail and air. They also constitute the very low-level "ambience" signals that give rise to soundstage and imaging. Therefore, one should be listening for improvements in these areas of performance when auditioning either version of the product.

I hope the above info helps. Have a great day all and…

Take care,
-Bob
Ozzy,
To add to what Bob says, I have the equivalent of the weakest SCTH filter (mine are Aether Audio Black Box versions) on my treble boxes and I have Spectron Musician III Mark 2 monoblocks (and currently eval'ing the Sanders Sound Magtech amps..both very high power amps). The filter level is perfect; I would assume your SS level is too much for such a resolving and high power amp as the Pass's. Drop down a level or two and you'll be amazed! Amazed I say. :)
Ted