Why Rhodium?

Seems to be a trend in termination plating toward Rhodium and I'm wondering why.
Anyone give opinions on the sonic character of this plating?
128x128rja
Well I hear differences, but my hearing and system are quite good. Granted, some differences may be subtle, however others are quite obvious. For example, silver sounds very different than copper.

Just this weekend I've been comparing outlets, the Hubbell 8200/8300 and 5362. The only real difference is that the 8200/8300 has nickel plating whereas the 5362 does not. The presentation is different, with the 8200/8300 being more forward, brighter, and a bit of glare. I attribute the differences to the nickel plating.

I have a friend that is a cable denier. Whenever he comes to my house he pokes fun at the fat hose pipes that adorn my system. Last time he was over he commented that I had more bass then before, and what had I changed. When I told him it was only one IC and a PC, he just grinned.
Br, listening to a system configured with various types of cables/connectors and making up cables and changing only one variable like the plug, or solder used, or connector used are two different things. Most people are shooting for a balanced presentation and there are many ways to get there so hearing different systems with different cables and having people getting somewhat similar result’s is not terribly surprising. But I know I could easily throw it off inserting one or two well chosen pc’s that would exacerbate a systems flaw.

With a few companies the only difference between the certain plug models is the plating, all else being equal so then you are only hearing or not hearing the differences afforded by the plating.

Just for shits and giggles I would try building a pc and changing only the plugs preferably only the plating, try it on your cdp and I am sure you will hear a difference.

I do agree though crimping is the way to go.

Interesting discussion so far.

Here's an experiment I tried several weeks ago, although it's not specifically about Rhodium it is related to the conversation.

I've been using an Acrolink 6N-P4039 PC terminated with Oyaide P-004 & C-004 on my amp. I like this cable a lot in this position. This is a high purity copper unshielded cable. The Oyaides are beryllium copper plated with platinum then palladium.

I replaced the Oyaide C-004 IEC with a Fim model 302 IEC. The Fim is gold plated high purity copper. This one termination is the only change I made to my entire system.

The deep bass and punch diminished significantly. I was surprised how much difference I was hearing because, frankly, I expected any difference, if audible, to be subtle.
When I replaced the Oyaide the bass returned.
Note: Male Oyaide was plugged into Oyaide R-1 outlet.

I did this experiment because the amp IEC is a gold plated Furutech and I thought like metals might be the way to go.

Footnotes:
1. I like the Fim terminations in other applications but not this one.
2. I also like Fim outlets.
3. I'm not even pretending I understand any of this but it's fun and interesting.

>>10-11-09: Mooglie
For example, silver sounds very different than copper.

Not at all. It depends on the design.

A csble's "sound" depends far more on its' geometry, dielectric, and conductor purity than the conductor itself.

I can conduct a listening session with 10 interconnects and you would never know which is silver or copper or hybrid.
Mooglie,
I agree that nickel probably has no place in audiophile cabling. On an interesting note I found that the elements name is derived from the German word nickel, which means "Old Nick", a name for the devil. I think in this application he's messing with "good" sound. 8^)
On a related note, I'm not sure brass is all that "good" either and I'm trying to "exorcise" it from my PCs as much as possible. It's amazing how much brass is in most PCs even the megabuck varieties.