What would happen if?

I just recently purchased a new pair of speaker cables and my goal is to hook them up and set them side by side with the old ones for easily comparasion.
My amplify is hidden behind the wall, it's very diff to get behind it to plug in and unplug the speaker cables back and forth. My Q. is what would happen if I get behind it once and tap the new pair on top of the old pair (old one is bananas, new one is spades) and leave the other end to the speakers OPEN. That way I can swap them back and forth for easy comparasion.
As far as I know, both of the cables will receive amplyfied signals at the same time but only 1 selected pair will get hooked up to the speakers. I'm curious what's the damage or any posible senerio would be if I play with them like this for approximately about a month? Will the dynamic of the speakers be decreased?
Thanks,
128x128nasaman
Almarg

The rules for current flow must have changed when I wasn't looking.

At some point long long ago, a completed path for voltage or current, if you would rather, needed to be in place.... or still more simplified, one leg to bring it in on, and one for the return. Things are a bit more involved than that, but in essence that way worked then and now... though perhaps there is some new one conductor circuitry that actually can send and return voltage and current into a component or device without the need for another path to complete the circuitry.

The speakers which has but one leg of the two speaker cables attached to them and to the amp as well have to be there for them to work. For the amp to see an additional load as it were.

Hook one of the two supplied wires in the speaker cables to the speaker, whichever one doesn't really matter. Next, connect the same wire in the second speaker cable to the other speaker. Turn everything on and tell me you can then hear music or even sound. you won't be able to. I assure you.

That could work if a wire was connected to the unlike post on those speakers which were properly connected. That way only one wire would run from the amp to one pair of speakers, and the return path would come via a connection to the playing or properly wired pair.

The load presented to the amp by those speakers that are correctly connected is all the amp will see. The singular existing connection I mentioned still in force on the unused pair can not present any significant load or sufficient resistance, by virtue of having only one lead connected. That circuit is what is called, an 'open' circuit.

There is no completed path for the supplied energy for which to enter the single wire connected speakers, and then return to the amp.

Even if the still attached single leg/lead runs directly into a cap, the effect will be negligible. Unnoticeable. Harmless. No noise.

The note as to having things in parallel doesn't stand up either, as all paralell circuits that in fact operate share both a common or actually a neutral, most likely a ground somewhere, and one hot or feed line, and in EVERY CASE a return path for the signal needs to be in place physically. this can be either the aforementioned common/neutral, or in some instances a common chassis ground or actual ground.

Although you say there is a lets say feed line.... where is the common or return in the speakers which do not have their returns connected, and only one lead afixed to them?

They don't... so coincidentally, they can not be seen as a load by the amp.

it is just like a broken filament in a light buld... break that filament... conduction ceases as the circuit is then, interuppted. A light switch is the same premise.

A return path must be in place always for current flow. AC or DC... it matters not.

If the benighn characters in a speakers xover contributed to some ancillary effect it would be so small as to require a metering device that measured in the thousandths to determine the actual value of it. it would be so infinitesimal as to not be contributary audibly, or mechanically in my proposed premise.

Essentially removing one or both leads at the speakers binding posts will accomplish the same result.

My method is simply easier and quicker, and will not harm either componenetÂ… amp or speaker. If this connecting and disconnecting takes place while the amp is de-energized entirely.

When a person can figure out how to supply energy and return it using a single wire, it will revolutionize the electronic industry, and our world as we know it.

Talk about being 'single ended'! wow.
BlindJim, you sure took the long way 'round John's barn on that one, son! [smile]. But, he's absolutely right - some extra cable hanging off ain't gonna make any difference in the sound, it's not in the circuit...

-RW-
A complete path is certainly not required for current flow. A capacitor connected across two battery posts is a perfect example. We all can agree the di-electric separates CONTINUOUS flow.
Two posts?

Try it with only one... that's what I'm saying. Just stick one lead of the cap onto one end of the battery and see how long it takes to charge that cap.

the Sun itself will burn out first.... but I suppose it might keep one off the streets.
Blindjim -- With all due respect, you are missing the point. Your suggestion of disconnecting just one leg of the cable that is not being used DOES provide a complete circuit, that includes the other leg of that cable.

Let's say that one of the two cables under test (call it cable 2) is disconnected on the positive leg, but left connected on the negative leg.

Current will flow from the positive output terminal of the power amplifier, through cable 1 to the speaker, then through the speaker, and then from the negative terminal of the speaker through BOTH cables back to the negative terminal of the power amplifier. It's as simple as that.

As a person with two degrees and several decades of experience as an electrical design engineer and manager, I am fully cognizant of the principle that a complete circuit is required for current to flow. There IS a complete circuit. But on one polarity it has two wires in parallel, and the current will utilize both of them, which, as I said, would invalidate the results of the test.

If for some reason you don't accept that, consider the case where one leg of BOTH cables is disconnected. So that on the positive leg you have one side of cable 1, and on the negative leg you have one side of cable 2. That would obviously provide a complete circuit as well, and would result in normal sound coming from the speakers, which I think helps to get across my point.

Regards,
-- Al