Directional interconnect cables

I see several big-name interconnect vendors mark directional arrows on the outer jacket of the cables.

How is it that a wire can be directional? It's a simple electrical conductor, how is it possible for it to be directional, to sound "better" when connected in one direction vs. the other? This does not make sense to me, perhaps someone here can explain how this can possibly be so...
lupinthe3rd
Some "ordinary cables" are indeed directional, but only as it relates to the ground. Do what your cable maker says. They are NOT consistant from maker to maker.

Dave
Acoustic Zen says the arrow points in the direction of signal flow, e.g., from CDP to pre-amp, from pre-amp to amps, from amps to speakers.
I agree with the common ground idea, "star grounding". However, in the case of a phono pre, this kinda goes out the window:

CDP -> PRE <- AMP = common ground at the pre
TT -> Phono -> Pre <- amp = no real common ground
It depends totally on the manufacturer. Kimber for instance grounds both ends(shields and connectors) of their cables(balanced and single-ended), and the arrow(or direction of the printing) indicates the signal flow.