Mellencamp vs. Seger vs. Springsteen

When I was growing up these were some of the most prolific singer/songwriters. I'm curious what Audiogon members view as their favorite. Look forward to your comments!
dayglow
Hello Sfar and original OP -I am a fan of all three but I have followed Mellencamp since the beginning and that is NOT taking away from the other two artists who I have most of their recordings and have also seen them live..... but ; "Life, Death, Love and Freedom '' by Mellencamp is a truly as you noted ''an amazing album''....I'm 55 and he writes about what I am thinking and feeling because at this stage we all tend to struggle with our own issues of self worth and our own mortality. John nails it.....this one is my favorite but I also still enjoy - Big Daddy and Scarecrow ......good post about three good song writers
Since someone brought up Bruce Cockburn, I'll mention here that I had the great pleasure of seeing him a couple of years back in a hall that seats maybe 1,500. I've liked him since way back, but hadn't before seen him live. His voice, lemme tell ya, was as strong as ever. Maybe stronger. He rocked the house and thrilled the crowd. If you get the chance, definitely do check him out.
-- Howard
I'll second (or third) the props to Bruce Cockburn and throw another troubador to the table. . .Steve Forbert. Known for a single hit, "Romeo's Tune" from '78, he has continued to record and tour to this day. Saw him at a solo performance recently and was impressed by since it was just him, harmonica, and acoustic guitar. If you like somgs that tell the story of ordinary lives check him out.
Neil Young is by far the most prolific Singer/Songwriter. He's still putting out great stuff (latest - "Psychedelic Pill" is great).

Another is Van Morrison - still going strong.

And another is Mark Knopfler - still going strong as well . . .
Bdgregory-Not claiming Mellencamp-Seger-Springsteen are the best all time songwriters. During the late 70's-late 80's these 3 produced some of there best and most popular works. IMO it's a close call which artist was the best during this period. During this time Neil Young was at a low point in his song writing and popularity(record sales). It wasn't until 2000(Silver and Gold)that Neil approached his best work. Van Morrison has not released a great studio recording since Avalon Sunset(89).