Cable isolators ???

Can anybody (preferable someone not trying to sell them) give me any feedback on how effective cable isolators are?

Are they most effective on speaker cables, interconnects, etc.??

Do they work better on floors, carpeting?

Is this just a ridiculous idea??
dewinkle
Post removed 
I heard a convincing demonstration at both my home and at one of our audio society meetings of the benefits of getting interconnects off of vibrating surfaces (in these cases, the floor). I think Elizabeth's tips are sound, and her insulating materials are effective enough (rubber pipe insulation could also be used for vibration isolation). The effect was greater on interconnects than speaker cables, as the vibrations at the IC level get magnified by the amplifier.

I do have some of the old Right-way ceramic isolation devices which I use on my speaker cables, and their effect is very small even on a very revealing system, not really worth their price. A friend makes some with rubber isolation which work slightly better, but I'd stick with Elizabeth's suggestions on the speaker cables.
i went to the local farm supply store and got ceramic insulators for rigging electric fences. They are about 1.5 in dia with a grove in the side to hold the cables. They seemed to have an effect in cleaning up the high end some as i remember. I doubt they are more than $5 or$10 a dozen. Haven't used them for years since the twins discovered they made decent projectiles.

cleaning up cord runs is very helpful.
Yes, they work to isolate speaker cables from electrostatic charges from carpets. Never used them on interconnects. Do yourself a favor and purchase vintage porcelain insulators - the kind used on electrical power poles - from Ebay (or your local Antique Collectible store) for about $5 apiece instead of the overpriced audiophile version which is esentially the same thing. As to interconnects, I've found cheap foam water pipe insulators from Home Depot - about $3. for a 4'piece - to be effective at separating the interconnects from other cables.