Power cord 15amp and 20amp

Can somebody explain the differences between the two. Can you use either one--are they interchangable? I have 15 amp cords now, why would I need or want 20amp. Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

Bill
itsalldark
Jim, thanks so much for the great discription, and for taking the time out of your busy day. It is very clear to me now how it works.

Bill
Jim, sorry for the confusing attribution in my post. I am not Jim Aud of Purist Audio design. I was merely quoting something he explained to me over the phone a few months back.

My name is Neil.

I'm glad though, that the rest of my explanation was clear :~))
here i go

yes it's about the energy transfer. The vibration of the energy and not a fixed number or the absolute entity (electricity)

i can pluck any instrument with anything. Plastic pic ,my fingers , a bow ,my teeth.....I can pull hard or soft , the energy being tranfered is the vibration .

When we spike our components it is to ground all the energy 100% of it from micro -air to micro -wire vibes.

If electricity was just that ....then no tweaking would be necessary . 15 amp and we would have a absolute exact sound everywhere.
Nsgarch (Neil)

WOW Neil. Thank you for taking the time to explain this in very simple terms. The analogy makes it very clear now.

Thanks
>>"Quite often, cords are described as "20 amp" cords even though they have 15 amp hardware (plugs). This is because the wire conductors themselves are 20 amp capacity. The only reason I can think that cords are sometimes described this way is to indicate that they are capable of powering high loads (like big amplifiers.)"<<
[Nsgarch]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Neil, although a manufacture might say his cord is rated at 20 amp because it uses #12 awg wire, the Nema 5-15P plug and the 15 amp IEC receptacle, UL dictates the rating shall be 15 amp. Because of the connectors the max continuous load would be 12 amps. A power cord with 20 amp connectors max continuous connected load of 16 amps.
=========

>>> "It's all about energy transfer."<<< --
[Jim Aud, Purist Audio Design]

That says it all, even though a power cord may be rated at 15 amp with #12, or larger, awg wire it is capable of handling quick fluctuating peaks of current with out any sag in voltage.
Jim