Sakura Systems OTA Cable Kit

Has anyone tried this "minimalist" cable kit? After receiving a recommendation from someone with similar musical values to myself, and whose ears I trust, I could not resist ordering one. I will report on how they sound in a few weeks, but am interested in others' opinions too.

For those that have not heard about them look at www.sakurasystems.com for an interesting read. The cable sounds as if it is very close to the specification of the conductors in Belden Cat5. So I may have spent around 100 times what the kit is worth. We shall see.

If you have not heard this cable, please don't bother posting your opinions of how it MUST sound here. Nor am I that interested in hearing how stupid I must be to order this kit - it's my money and you are free to make different decisions with yours. Sorry for this condition, but I am bored with those that have nothing positive to offer on this site, and post their opinions based on deductive logic rather than actual experience.
redkiwi
Hi Outlier - After 500 hours with OTA, I ended up going back to some very high end interconnects. While the OTA is good and even spectacular for its price (based on the cost of $600 to wire an entire system - not the material cost) I ultimately felt that the emotion of the music vanished when the OTA entered my system. I guess that OTA working a miracle for me was wishfull thinking. When I built my system, I purchased and tested countless interconnects - after about 6 months of testing/trial/error, I managed to find the right match and thus obtained a sonic flavor that I really enjoy and suits my system. The resulting sound is simply the best I can do with my existing components - unless of course there is a cable I do not know about.

When I removed the OTA and re-inserted my old interconnects, I felt so much better about my system.
Hi BWhite, I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one questioning the OTA's preeminence. Still, as you say, the OTA is at the very least an outstanding bargain compared to other offerings anywhere near it's price range. I wonder whether you can share with us what cable set-up you went with. I find myself tempted by the best from Tara Labs and Synergistic, not to mention NBS and Nordost, but I wonder whether there really is some sleeper cables that are expensive but can compete with the very expensive. Anyway, happy listening.
Hi Outlier, I have tried nearly everything within reason.. and when I say that, I mean most top end products. I currently use a Audio Note Kondo KSL between the CD player and preamp followed by NBS Statement between the pre and amplifier. I selected these cables above all others tested because of what they do in my system. Honestly, I haven't found a "giant killing" cable yet. The better cables always seem to be more expensive - go figure!!

From my experience most of the audio cables from various manufacturers which reside at the top of their line up are ALL quite good -they are just different. Which ones are best for a given system is simply a matter or personal preference, and system synergy. The only real way to find out which wones ork best for you would be to try 'em all... Unfortunately.

The OTA is a good cable but using it in a system comprised of 100% OTA didn't work for me. I did however have better success with the OTA as speaker cable than interconnect.
Bwhite: ahh, you've ended up where we started. I have been watching to see if you liked the OTA better than the hideously expensive NBS/KSL I pushed you towards - and had been feeling bad that you could have been just as happy with the OTA (which I haven't heard). Glad you still like the KSL/NBS combo. If you remember, I've also have the Audionote IC from CD to pre, and NBS Pro from pre to amp in this second system and found combo complementary. What happened to your feelings on the KSL spkr wire vs. OTA?

A lot of times a cable will do something that at first sounds great - usually appealing to that part of our minds that listens more analytically when we first sit down. Its much harder, and takes some real time listening, to discern those cables that also help us fall into the music, so to speak. Since we aren't thinking in those deeper listening spaces, its harder to then go back later and think about what was best; trying to think about a time when you weren't thinking is tough! And, takes time for the answer to come to you. That's why you should always live with a product for some time, why its dangerous to buy from a dealer based on short-term exposure, and why these threads are helpful in contacting others who have put in that time and reflection/contemplation on the products they have listened to.

Thank you, bwhite, and all of the others, for putting in the time with the OTA and letting us know about your experiences.
Hi Asa - The OTA vs. the KSL-SPc (copper) speaker cables is really no contest. While the OTA is decent, it lacks the feeling of the KSL. The OTA is pretty amazing though when you consider how much music comes through that little wire and the bass is very good. The reason I would suggest OTA as a good speaker cable is simply because of its neutral character - which would allow one to more easily fine tune the system with interconnects. In my case (tri-wire speakers) changing speaker cables is a MAJOR pain in the rear. The KSL has more body and weight than the OTA (which my speakers need) but remains quite neutral - clean - effortless.

Oh.. another thing I noticed with the OTA was the pace seemed odd to me. Perhaps others can comment. It seems a little too fast to be accurate.... any thoughts??

The KSL I am using between my CD and Preamp is the new KSL-LP1 which is actually a double run of Kondo's Silver AN-Vz repackaged.

Initially, I settled on NBS Statements for between the preamp and amps but - since I recently sold my source (Mephisto II) and switched to a Sony XA777ES which is a touch more detailed than the Mephisto and is a little more "electronic" in its tonality, I think I prefer a run of Stealth PGS between the amps and preamp. The Softer sounding and more organic Stealth PGS combined with the Sony is quite comperable to the softer sounding Mephiso with NBS Statements. Whereas the Sony and the NBS are not an optimal match in my system since they are just ever so slightly over the top in their combined presentation.

Using 100% OTA made it more difficult to get the right sound from my system.