The Band: S/T and/or Music from the Big Pink

I have been holding out for nice copies of either of these. I have a later (not new reissue) pressing of Big Pink, and it sounds pretty good, but nothing special. I was advised to steer clear of the CAP Vaults reissues, and my gut tells me to skip the MFSL's. I have also had a hard time finding nice copies of either LP in record shops. Do early presses sound good, or is my pain and suffering all for nothing. Cheers -Don
fjn04
On Big Pink you should just get a Rainbow Capitol.I have the 70s MoFi,to me nothing to write home about or invest $$ in.On the self titled I've yet to hear anything I thought had great sound.I have an early German press,numerous green Capitols and 7 1/2 ips reel to reel all seem muddy.I believe they recorded this in a house in hollywood they rented from Sammy Davis Jr. maybe that's the problem.Anyway Fantastic music that I'd listen to regardless of recording quality.If you are having problems finding clean Rainbow cap of Big Pink e-mail me privately,Don,I have numerous dupes on this title.
Thanks- Just listened to my Big Pink. It's a Capital dark Purple/burgundy label.
Serial SKAO 2955. It sounds better than I had remembered, but my stereo has changed a bit too. The LP has a heavier feel, I bet it's an earlier pressing but of course not a Rainbow. It sounds as if neither Big Pink or the S/T is a great recording, perhaps S/T even less so. Still as Casey 33 says, GREAT music.
Thanks for the offer Casey33, will mull it over and PM you if I'm want to go with
the Rainbow.