Interesting Article

http://www.factmag.com/2015/05/07/pressed-to-the-edge-vinyl/
terrybbagit
BTW Dweller, you mentioned problems with new vinyl specifically and that people don't know how to make LPs anymore? I should warn you that certain LPs that have expressed/exuded a surfeit of MRA will sound exactly the way that you described. It may not be the embedded problem that you think it is?
If the MRA is then successfully removed using a power cleanser you will be treated to a 100% silent disc...that tracks properly on peaks.

Just a thought....
Terryb - thanks for the article. Provides interesting insight into the vinyl mftg. process. AND the real differences between vinyl today vs from "back in the day".
There is no venue where music does not have some kind ambient noise except for Digital music. To me it is too clean and unnatural. I do listen to digital music, the scale and depth is getting better with hires. Vinyl is preferred, it does have issues but sounds more natural.
Tried vinyl and also could not get past the clicks and pops. I find my dac and rig as musical as any turntable I have heard, in my system, to be honest. Some of the sweeping comments against digital here are simply not true. Broad based and sweeping absolutes are rarely true folks. Widen your experience and learn these absolutes just don't stand up. Too many factors ranging from system synergy, room, source and personal preferences to make absolute statements. Just impossible.

In my rig, in my room, with my sonic preferences, my digital front end was more enjoyable.......for me.
Dweller and Granny

It could just be a matter of what kind of sound one is used to, did you grow up with vinyl or did you first start this journey with digital sound?

As I mentioned above the small clicks and pops that inadvertently is on a LP surface simply does not matter to me, I don't even register them. The etched cool and not, to me, as lifelike sound from digital does not connect me to the music in the same way LP playback does.

In my main personal listening room I have quite competent analog and digital setups. If only judging from the use that either setup sees, the analog side gets WAY more use than the digital one does.

To return to the article that started this tread it states that theres only 2 places in the world that produce lacquers for pressing LP's, one of which is mentioned to be a older gentleman in Japan working out of his garage. This clearly is misinformation - if you do a simple google search for LP Lacquer
dozens of places in the US alone pops up.

Good Listening

Peter