How important is a good rack?

I have a really nice turntable and some good equipment overall.

I have it sitting in a Michael Green just a rack., It's the entry level with the thinner shelves. I noticed it's not super sturdy if I bump into it it tends to wobble. If I am playing a record it skips. I have an older AR suspension turntable and I can walk all around the rack and it doesn't. I guess what I'm wondering does a rack need to be rigid?

Some rack suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott
52tiger
What you are trying to accomplish is isolating external vibrations from your components. The best rack will accomplish little if it is sitting on a bouncy floor. Wall mounting on a bearing wall usually results in the best isolation.
Best to have 'rackless' room, say hiding the stuff in a closet where the acoustic energy that the speakers produce will not impact the rack and its components. Very important if you have a turntable in your system.
Makes a world of difference - especially with vinyl. I have a Townshend Seismic Stand - they are brilliant.
If one has the option of acoustically isolating turntable from speakers, then that is worth it for sure.
TurnTable Wall Shelf
Above is a link to a very cool Wall Shelf - made this one for a super tricked out Palatine Verdier table some years ago.

Have no affiliation with the listing party. Just another option to peruse.

Good Listening

Peter