The Dynavector 17D3 Phono Cartridge has a diamond cantilever and has a ruler-flat frequency response out to 30Khz. It was also an Absolute Sound Editor's Choice in 2014 and got their Golden Ear award in 2007. Maybe it's a good choice for an evaluation tool.

Also, Legacy Focus speakers and a Wheaton Triplanar aren't exactly meh.

Many of us tune our systems to sound good with as many records as possible. He needs his system to do the exact opposite. Maybe our gear selection choices are different because our goals are different.
For me, Johnny, it's not his system that gives me pause (the Townshend tweeters are fantastic. The low powered 70's receiver, not so good), but rather his opinion that tube amps make everything sound warm and snuggly. That view of how things sound brings into question Tom's qualifications to judge the sound of LP pressings.
Johnnyb53 ...

I've discussed Tom's use of the DV-17D with my friend who sells TP records. You are exactly correct in your assessment. Tom uses the Dynavector cartridge because it is ruler flat. Its great for assessing the true sound of a record. This is for analysis purposes and not necessarily for audiophile music enjoyment.

I went to Tom's one time years ago when he was using the Legacy Whispers. I didn't like the sound. IMHO the Legacy Focus is a better sounding speaker. Personally, I've been using the Legacy Signature III's for years now. Very similar sound to the Focus, except the Focus is more relaxed in its presentation. I'd go for the Focus, but I'm afraid they would overpower my room.

On Tom's electronics: I don't see a problem there either. We have to consider that Tom uses his system mainly as an analytic tool. Some of the solid state amps and receivers built back in the 70's and early 80's can be quite remarkable. The early Yamaha stuff comes to mind. Sony too. Oh, and if your ever setting up a cheap bedroom system or a dorm system ... check Ebay for a Sherwood 7100 or 7100A receiver. For under a hundred bucks for a mint one, you can get some crazy good sound. VERY decent headphone amp in them too. I have one in my bedroom system ... 20 bucks at a local thrift store.
Speaking of older SS electronics, in the late 70s I had to downsize my system and ended up with a Sansui 717 integrated amp driving used Maggie MG1s. I wouldn't suggest the Sansui would work well with all speakers but that match was very musically satisfying.

I also agree with Oregonpapa about those Sherwoods. I helped more than one friend in that era put together a system with the Sherwood receiver and Dynaco A-25/35, Advent, or KLH speakers.

BTW, most of my systems since the Sansui have included tubes.