The issue of lowballing... What does that mean?

I LOVE Audiogon. I have purchased and sold many items here and it is a wonderful resource for audio nuts of every variety. Big solid state, tubes, analog, vinyl? Sure it all goes.

So I see posts that are make offer but the seller says "lowballers" will be ignored, vilified, cursed and cussed. So why have a make offer sale? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or how much you love it. And why be upset? Declining requires one mouse click. Countering maybe five or six clicks or keystrokes. Just curious as this is a commerce site.

I have received offers that seemed really low to me, but I am still happy to have interest and I always counter offer. I recently sold a Clearaudio TT for a lot less than I thought it was worth. But all the offers were low and I had to rethink my view. It ultimately sold as a real bargin but I'm happy and so is the buyer.

Your thoughts?
128x128superbike
04-10-13: Polk432
Buy it now. 0% If I like the price I'll buy, if not, I'll walk away. Make offer 8-10%
So if something is for sale for $1000 + shipping and someone offers $900 shipping included they are a bum?
If the price is buy it now 1000.00 plus shipping then that's the price. It doesen't say make offer. Offer 900.00 the price goes up to 1100.00 plus shipping. If you think the seller is that hard up, why offer 900.00 when you can offer 300.00 good luck getting it. I guess you think 10% off buy it now only makes the buyer a Hobo and not quite a Bum. Freakin' brilliant huh?
Maybe your self worth is tied into your HiFi gear so offering less than what you are asking impacts how you feel about yourself....makes sense
It has nothing to do with it at all. I'm not stupid, and don't let bums take advantage of me. Check out my feedback on here and ebay. I have no negatives or complaints and deal fairly. I just don't cave in when someone without the means makes offer because they feel that they are self entitled to have things they don't deserve, because they are pissed off that others have nice things. Maybe they think someone just gave the items to the seller, so if the seller never paid for the item, why should the lowballer pay a fair price? Lowballers = BUMS. It's easy, just have the money or butt out. There are lots of things I'd like, but I don't try lowballing because I don't have the means.
04-11-13: Polk432
If the price is buy it now 1000.00 plus shipping then that's the price. It doesn't say make offer.
You said in your post if it says make offer then 8% - 10% offer is OK. My example was below 10%, so according to you that guy is a bum.

One thing you may want to keep in mind is that many people who are very well off financially got that way (and stay that way) in part because they are financially very shrewd. I guess it depends on your definition of "bum."

btw: People who get emotionally involved in business transactions almost always lose.