Is Coincident Statement Phono pre-amp an overkill

Is it an overkill for my Clearaudio Concept TT and Concept MM cartridge.

I am a new to Analog but clearly its going to be my #1 source of listening pleasure I know already.

Should I start the safe route of picking up an EAR 834P and then going up the chain.

What are your views on this phono stage in general is it worth the money, I have a chance to get one at 25% off retail, which for this phono as I understand never happens, have not seen this phono in Audiogon ever in the last 6 months of looking everyday.
essrand
Hey Al, Doesn't the Coincident have a built-in SUT, and is there not the possibility to bypass the SUT, if you have an MM? I guess not, based on what you wrote. I am quite surprised.
Hi Lew,

Yes, it is described as using a SUT, and I'd imagine that it could be bypassed internally and a suitable resistive termination put in place. But it seems clear from the description that internal modifications would be required, and I doubt that many of us would want to do that to such a special piece. Or even have Israel do that, if in fact he would be willing to.

And of course the mod would have to be undone later if the OP eventually goes to a LOMC, unless the design were further modified with the addition of a switch and wiring changes, the result very conceivably being a signal path that is compromised to some degree.

I suppose also that an external SUT could be purchased and used in the reverse direction, to reduce the voltage and increase the load impedance. But that doesn't seem to make much sense either, sonically or financially.

My basic feeling, fwiw, is that something as special as this piece should be kept in stock form, and used as its designer intended.

Best regards,
-- Al
Based on my interactions with Israel over the past 4 years, he'd rather lose his right hand and an eye(maybe even an ear) before he'd compromise anything related to the signal path. Purity and simplicity of the audio signal is his mantra.
Charles,
I know cartridges are a world in itself. I would just start with the most inexpensive MC cartridge that would be compatible with the Concept turnarm.

The Denon 103r should work. Dirt cheap here. Plus one of the reviews of the Coincident asserted that it plays well with the Denon.

I find that there's such a thing as over-deliberation. Even in the absence of all the facts, sometimes one just needs to make a decision, one way or the other, and move on. Moreover, you now have 25 records (and counting?); give them some love.
Essrand, Building an audio system is relevant to a mathematical equation.
The problem is to find the values or solutions. You are deciding on variables or unknowns. The Statement Preamp will get you closer to your desired binary relation which would be the equals (=) of your goals end.
My system was put together solely based on much research and testimony on user's accolades. I would feel as confident in Coincident Preamp and Amplifiers.
I went for the Doshi Alaap which offers more Phono choices (cost reflective!!) which you do not require. Lewm previously mentioned of a friend who traded Alaap for the Statement. That speaks A LOT to me!
You have an opportunity to attain world-class Amplification performance!