DIY turntable plinth material

I have a spare VPI super platter/spindle, thinking of building a TT out of it.

I have some materials in mind

I have a spare BDR shelf that I can use, but its difficult to work with and will only consider if it offers significant performance upgrade.

I can have acrylic or MDF cut to any shape, both are easy to work with. I once had a 400lb granite but I can't possibly imagine using it due to the size and weight.

I assume a mixture of different materials should offer the best performance, wondering what do people use to build their TT?
semi
Planning to use my Finite Elemente Compact for feet, they offer tremendous performance. I also have some BDR jumbo puck and cones I can use as well.
I'm not familiar with the bearing and spindle assy for the platter you're using. Make sure that there is adequate clearance between the top of the plinth and the bottom of the installed bearing to clear the shelf surface. Also suggest that the plinth should be at least 2 inches think. Laminating 3/4" MDF is rumored to work OK.
I made a slate plinth , used a Lenco motor and idler system, stacked the VPI Superplatter over the Lenco platter and the result is one of the most slamming turntables I heard, very close to my EMT 927 in terms of dynamics .
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=803.0
The VPI TNT is far behind !
Good luck with your project !
Try contactiung a kitchen counter fabricatioin place and see if they have any Corian sink cutouts. Corian is very dense and resonant free (any heavy), and it comes in many styles and colors.

Check out my systems page for a DIY using VPI platter, bearing and motor and a Corian plinth (Apogees in the House)

Enjoy,
Bob